Homemade salsa recipe.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Last night our good friend Ilene was over and we caught up over chips and homemade salsa. She asked how I made it, and until then, I hadn't even really thought it was a recipe. I had just chopped some things up and put them in a bowl. But so that I can replicate what I did and so you can try it if you want, here it is:

1 large tomato (or 2 if you want)
2 jalapeños
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 large white or spanish onion
1 bunch cilantro (add as much as you like)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
Salt to taste

Just dice all of these ingredients - or chop them even finer, depending on how you like it. It can be anywhere from a chunky pico de gallo to a more saucy consistency. Mix together and you're done!

I'll admit, it's kind of a lot of chopping, but I was able to do it in under half an hour (and I'm not very fast). I have a food processor on my wish list, which would make this so much faster! I could eat this stuff with every meal (and apparently I do... I just had some at 7:30 this morning).

The other night when Kels and Zach were over for Fourth of July dinner, and we had a Chipotle-style meal and made our own burritos. I asked Kels to finish chopping some tomatoes for the salsa and we were remembering that one summer during middle school (or maybe elementary school?) Kels decided to sell homemade salsa. At first, we had planted a "salsa garden" in one large pot with some tomatoes and peppers and cilantro. But because we needed that and more to make even one jar of salsa, Mom bought all of the ingredients. Kels bought the jars and spent most of the summer at the cutting board. It makes me laugh just thinking about it. She used one of Mom's recipes (because she doesn't even like salsa in the first place) and sold the jars for $2 each, making hardly any profit for all that chopping. Oh, Kels. You've been an entrepreneur from the beginning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan