Breastfeeding at night: the essentials.

Saturday, June 8, 2019


I'm four times in to this breastfeeding-through-the-night gig, and I'm still learning new things. What works? What doesn't? What makes being up every 2-3 hours at night for weeks on end somewhat bearable? I thought I'd share a few of my favorite items that are new to me this fourth time around. As simple as they are, they are making these early days of newborn life more manageable. Click on the links to purchase from Amazon, if you're interested.




Dimmable tap light - This thing is amazing. Instead of using my phone's flashlight or flipping on a lamp to see the baby, I use this tap light to create a low light that doesn't wake anyone up too much. It's rechargeable, too, so doesn't waste batteries. Win win!

Haakaa silicone breast pump - This thing is amazing, and I wish I'd known about it before now. It has almost made my "real" pump obsolete. You just attach it to the breast you aren't feeding from and let it suction milk out. It's especially helpful in the morning when I'm feeling extra full, and I've been able to get up to 5 ounces out of one side to freeze for later. Life changing! It's going to be my new go-to baby shower gift for new moms. 

Nursing gown - I have one similar to these, which makes nighttime nursing and skin-to-skin time so much more feasible and convenient.

Gowns for baby - Baby gowns make for such easier diaper changes in the night, which allows the baby (and me!) to wake up much less than if I had to unbutton or unzip each time.

Coconut oil - My lactation consultant recommended this in lieu of any other nipple cream or lanolin for tenderness, and it has worked so well. It's also safe for baby to consume. I keep a little jar on the nightstand for easy access.

Yeti for ice water - I love this Yeti to keep drinks cold (or hot), but especially ice water to sip on throughout the night. Shawn has been spoiling me by buying big bags of crushed ice from Sonic, which is more appealing to me than regular ice and helps me drink more water through the day (and night).


My number one tip: Keep your phone out of reach. I know, I know. Isn't that the best time to catch up on Instagram stories and emails? I've just found that when I don't look at my phone, I'm able to fall asleep again much quicker. I use the time nursing to think, to pray, to just sit in silence. Sometimes, I doze off. I'm also able to savor the time with Beckham instead of feeling annoyed when he needs something. Then when it's time for him to go back to sleep, I fall asleep much easier.

Ok, your turn. Any essentials you'd like to share? Leave them in the comments!

As an Amazon affiliate, when you click on the links above and purchase something from Amazon, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting Elm Street Life!

1 comment:

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan