No more moping.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Last week I was handed some good news and some bad news. I had suspected for quite some time that I was allergic to more than just gluten. I was right.

In fact, out of 394 foods I was tested for, I ended up being allergic to 19 including all dairy, soy, garlic, tomatoes, egg whites, shrimp... oh, just everything I was used to eating. While some of these foods will just have to stay out of my diet for 3 months (then we'll re-test them), several others have gotten the boot permanently.
Goodbye cheese...
Goodbye yeast...
I loved you, but you didn't love me back.

This weekend I found myself in the same rut I'd been in several months ago when first discovering my gluten allergy. To be honest, I was moping. Feeling sorry for myself. Hungry. Jealous of my friends (and husband) who could enjoy a slice of pizza or a bagel slathered in cream cheese without even thinking about it. I'd be the girl who just ordered an apple and water for breakfast because it was the only choice.

On Saturday, I roamed the aisles of Whole Foods and studied nutrition labels on every box I picked up, always disappointed when I couldn't find a single thing to put in my cart (other than basic produce, of course). I came home with a few items, but spent most of the weekend moping during meal times, asking Shawn if I could just smell what he was eating (and always being turned down). :)

But on Sunday afternoon, I consciously turned a corner. I thought to myself, "If I'm allergic to 19 foods, that means there were 375 foods I was tested for that I was not allergic to." And I set out to find them to create a yummy, healthy, satisfying allergy-free dinner for us.

The menu: Oven-roasted salmon on a bed of spring mix with goat cheese (I'm still allowed to have that!), sauteed pumpkin seeds, avocado, and a lemon-oil dressing.
IMG_2202
IMG_2203
IMG_2204

We were two tired, but happy, campers.
This one played hard in his first soccer game of the season. I was so proud.
IMG_2208

This one stopped moping.
Proud of her, too.
IMG_2210
IMG_2211

We watched the sun set and felt the air cool and savored each bite, dwelling on God's goodness poured out lavishly on us.

Even though you may read this post and think, "Gosh, I'm glad that doesn't apply to me," I think there's something in this story for all of us. We are all prone to covet, whether it be someone else's bagel or someone else's home. We are all prone to be dissatisfied with what we've been given. It is so easy to forget the thousands of blessings we have been given and chase after the few that God has withheld. Perhaps He's withheld them for a reason. Perhaps they'll hurt us. Whatever the case, one thing I've learned is that gratitude kills discontentment faster than anything. Oh, and gratitude is a choice... a choice that brings true freedom.

"For godliness with contentment is great gain." - 1 Timothy 6:6

8 comments:

  1. Great post Whitney.. I am dealing with the same issue (not the allergies) but with being grateful for all of God's blessings... and thinking that others have it "better" than me. Thanks for the reminder that God is faithful and he wants me to be content in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart (and your kitchen) . . . these food things are so shocking when you first learn about them.

    You are handling this with sweet maturity.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! AMEN to your last paragraph! God bless you and strengthen you!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. hang in there, friend. thanks for the good reminder. i think we all need to hear that. love you much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. So happy you stopped by my blog so I could "meet" you:)
    2. Your blog is too cute.
    3. super yummy dinner!
    4. I am so sorry for this. I had to do a no yeast/cheese/sugar diet for a month last fall and I can feel your pain!! Hooray that you can have goat cheese!! There are some yeastless breads and bagles like spelt and a few others that I was so happy to have, and tortillas saved my life! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whit, I feel for you with the new allergies in addition to gluten. So hard! In the midst of it, your perspective and choosing thankfulness was such an inspiration to me. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 19!! Oh my! You have the right attitude though - instead of focusing on what you can't have, celebrate all of the beautiful and tasty foods that you can :) Your salmon and salad looks lovely, so happy to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I stumbled on your blog through TasteSpotting. Very encouraging! I love your perspective.

    You have no idea who I am, so take or leave this as you wish. After giving birth to her son, my sister found out she was intolerant (not allergic, so a difference there) to pretty much everything you listed - and much more. She tried a bunch of stuff with various doctors for months and had little results. She finally simply, after research, found out that her body was low on probiotics (like found in sauerkraut - or yogurt...). She replenished her levels on probiotics and is pretty much completely back to normal.

    Since being allergic is definitely different than being intolerant, likely this doesn't apply to you, but I couldn't help sharing just in case.
    Blessings,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan