DIY Week: Make your own Anthro-inspired brooch.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If you're like me, you're loving all the floral accessories out there right now. This is just another take on the floral brooch that is everywhere and is so versatile.

Here are the supplies you'll need:
A glue gun
Scissors
A pen
A loose, lightweight fabric 
(I think I used a polyester silk of some kind I had lying around)
Felt
A hair clip or pin

IMG_1865

On the fabric you're using for your brooch, outline 10 or 12 circles in whatever size you'd like. This is to make a larger size brooch, so I used a tiny latte bowl from Anthropologie.
IMG_1866

Once outlined, cut out your circles.
IMG_1867

Once cut, I like them to be a little frayed, so pull on the edges and it should leave a rough edge.
IMG_1868

Then, cut 2 pieces of felt in a circle a bit smaller than your original circle. These felt pieces won't show, so they do not have to be perfect.
IMG_1869

Once you've cut all your circles, take each circle one by one and fold it in half, then in half again.
IMG_1870

Place a dab of hot glue into the center of the felt circle and put the pointed end of your fabric right onto the center.
IMG_1871

Do the same thing on the opposite side.
IMG_1872

Then fill in the other two sides.
IMG_1874

As you do this, your flower will start to come together and fill out. Just press it down to apply another, adding a dab of glue in the center and placing your fabric on top.
IMG_1875

After about 8 or 10 pieces applied, you'll have this! If you want a more dense flower, just add more "petals."
IMG_1878

Now flip it onto its back and glue down whatever you're using to attach it, either a hair clip of some kind or a pin.
IMG_1880

With the second piece of felt you cut, cut a little slit to fit right over your hair clip, if that's what you're using.
IMG_1881

Fit through the felt then glue all the edges of the felt pieces together.
IMG_1882

And that's it!
IMG_1883

Here's your brooch, all ready to go! I frayed it all a little more, which you can definitely do.
IMG_1884

Obviously with the hair clip attached, you could use wear it in your hair. But you could also clip it to a headband. Or to your shirt, like I did.
IMG_1891
You could even clip it to a necklace!
IMG_1894
Or if you make a smaller version, you could clip them to your shoes!
Enjoy. :)

4 comments:

  1. I'm planning on making many of your DIY posts as Christmas presents!

    You probably don't know me but I used to go to Moody around the same time as you and Shawn. I found your blog through Ilene's-- it's like a train of Moody grads. :) Anyway, I REALLY love all your posts. So keep it up! Thanks for giving me ideas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. After contemplating how in the world to get to JoAnn's on the CTA in order to get some of these supplies I've come to the conclusion that you should sell some in your etsy shop. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't wait to make one of these! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made one of these (except I sewed instead of glued) and it was so easy and fun! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan