DIY Week: Paper garland

Friday, August 27, 2010

So this is one of those projects that seems too easy to even post instructions, but hopefully it will inspire you!

I've made two types of garland or "bunting" that could be used for celebrations or just as everyday home decor (I'll probably use mine as both).

First, I wanted some garland out of old sheet music. My mom gave me a large stack of it, and I've been using it for tons of projects.

IMG_1961

This little paper cutting contraption was a very good $8 investment (on sale at Michael's). While you could cut out these circles by hand, it would take a looong time. This tool makes it so easy - and comes in a variety of shapes and sizes at any craft store.

IMG_1962

I cut out a stack of them - really as many as you want for whatever length you want the garland to be.
IMG_1963
IMG_1964
IMG_1966

Then I just placed them one by one under my sewing machine needle and sewed them just like I would sew fabric. I sewed approximately through the middle of these, leaving a little space in between each one.

IMG_1967
IMG_1969

If you want a more colorful garland, you can do the same thing with different kinds of scrapbook paper.
IMG_1971

The only problem with most scrapbook paper is that it usually has one color side and the other side is white. Because I didn't want the garland twisting over to the white side when hung, I decided to fold these little guys in half.
IMG_1972
IMG_1973

I then just sewed them along the flat side, all pointing in one direction, and ended up with this:

IMG_1978
IMG_1979

Because this is the last day of "DIY Week" I maaay just be posting one more project before the day is over. This has been fun!

9 comments:

  1. I've loved seeing all your fun crafts this week; very inspiring! :) I was wondering if you had any fun craft ideas for an old pair of jeans??

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved them all, many many thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and fun idea. It would be cute with fabric or wall paper, too. Love your creativity.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved reading your DIYs this week! I am planning on revisiting your posts when I have some free time to try some of them out. I vote for more DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So super cute :) I'm going to make some for my classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the colors of this one Whittie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I wish I had a sewing machine!! Any suggestions for those who don't have one? These are very cute Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sooo cute..n so easy.. u inspire me so much.

    Aditi
    So-Saree
    www.sosaree.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks lovely, creative and adds dimension. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan