What I learned on the farm.

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I took a little field trip to a friend's farm in Culleoka, Tennessee.
I went to learn about farm life and bring home some raw goat's milk for yogurt and fresh eggs.

Let me tell you... I learned a lot more than I expected - probably because I knew so little to begin with.

Here are the top 10 things I learned, in no particular order:

1. Barns should always be red and built by loving friends and neighbors, just like this one.

IMG_1979

2. If you enter a barn without food, the animals will stop what they're doing, look up, and give you a bewildered stare. See exhibits 1 and 2.

IMG_1985

IMG_1994

3. Farm boys have a lot of guts. And a lot of fun.

IMG_2026

IMG_2031

4. Cows and sheep chew the wool off of other sheep in order to get seeds out of it to eat. For the sheep, it feels like they're ripping their hair out. Poor things!

IMG_2034

5. There's not much cuter in the animal world than a baby lamb. Precious.

IMG_2037

6. Ditto.

IMG_2045

IMG_2016

7. Baby calves are pretty darn cute, too.

Untitled-2

8. I'm not sure what I really learned about bunnies, except this kind makes a good pet.

Untitled-3

9. Most of these sheep are very pregnant, which means the kids have to come check every night in the middle of the night to make sure they're not freezing or have complications while they're delivering. (Hats off to them!)

Untitled-1

10. Farmers are the nicest people. Thank you, Wolters family, for showing me around! I'll definitely be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan