Is anything too hard for the Lord?

Thursday, August 15, 2013


We moved to Raleigh three days ago, and despite the excitement of a new place and the assurance that this is clearly where the Lord has us, the past 72 hours have been some of the most stressful of our lives. From a problematic car (which required us to drive my dad's car at the last moment) to difficulty with a home loan, not much has gone smoothly.

Early this morning, I woke up to feed Liam and the reality of our situation hit me hard. My mind went straight to the many difficult things we're facing in this transition, and the prospect that we need a house, a car, and possibly another car for Shawn's commute was weighing so heavily. I sat in silence as my heart raced. When you don't feel like some of your most basic needs are met, it's hard to focus on anything else.

And then this: "Is anything too hard for the Lord?

It felt comforting. It felt convicting.

But, Lord... we need a house. This basement apartment isn't going to work for long. And until we move into a new house, I can't re-open my business.
Is anything too hard for the Lord?

But we also need a car. And maybe two cars!
Is anything too hard for the Lord? 

The answer is no. No, Lord. Nothing is too hard for you.

When I went to find that statement in the Bible, I found it first in Genesis 18. The Lord has come to visit Abraham to tell him that Sarah, despite her old age, will be blessed with a son.

Sarah was listening to this conversation from the tent. Abraham and Sarah were both very old by this time, and Sarah was long past the age of having children. So she laughed silently to herself and said, “How could a worn-out woman like me enjoy such pleasure, especially when my master—my husband—is also so old?”Then the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh? Why did she say, ‘Can an old woman like me have a baby?’ Is anything too hard for the Lord? I will return about this time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”Sarah was afraid, so she denied it, saying, “I didn’t laugh.”But the Lord said, “No, you did laugh.” 
- Genesis 18:10-15 (NLT)
I've read this passage many times before, but today, I took away this: that despite Sarah's complete lack of faith, the Lord still fulfilled His promise. Because God's promise was not dependent on her. It was completely dependent Him. He said she would be blessed with a son. She doubted him. He says, in essence, "Even though you don't believe me and you laugh, I'm still going to come through."

That bolsters my faith. It reminds me that it isn't up to me or my great faith for the Lord's work to be accomplished. Yes, He is glorified when I have faith. But He isn't limited by my lack of faith, or my small, weak prayers in the early morning. Because nothing is too hard for Him. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak (Isaiah 40:29). Those who hope in Him will not be disappointed (Isaiah 49:23). We are weak. We are weary. But we do hope in Him.

Later this morning, I heard this new song by Audrey Assad (thanks, Kels, for posting it) and it put so much into perspective.

From the love of my own comfort
From the fear of having nothing
From a life of worldly passions
Deliver me, O God

When I taste your goodness, I shall not want




Oh that that would be the cry of my heart. I have tasted His goodness, and yet I still want for so much.

Pieces of His goodness this week:
The sweetness of having family close by
A husband who trusts the Lord
A curious, giggly little boy
Gorgeous, cool weather
An incredibly welcoming church family
A place to stay that is adequate for our needs

7 comments:

  1. Prayers going up for you and your sweet family, Whitney! I can relate--we're too waiting on a loan and our car isn't the greatest... but you are so right. Nothing is too hard for our Lord! Thank you for always being an encouragement. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never commented on your blog before, but I read it all the time (that might sound a little creepy). I just wanted to say thanks for being honest in your posts, and showing your trust in God. You are an encouragement to others, even if you don't know us. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. I needed to hear (read) it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great reminder!! And I'm so glad that song is meaningful to you too. I read in an interview with her that she based it on a Catholic prayer called the Litany of Humility: http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm. Also VERY convicting! Love you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great reminder in times that aren't as peaceful as we would like them to be. I always appreciate your insight and your apparent trust in the Lord. It's refreshing

    Looking forward to your North Carolina pics. Aside from Oregon, it just might be my favorite state!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your inspiration in The Lord. I moved to a new state this month too!

    igetmycraftyfrommymama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realize that you wrote this post a couple of weeks ago, but I just read it today, and the timing was perfect! Thank you for sharing such personal parts of your family's lives and hearts.

    Logan

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan