But take heart!

Monday, September 15, 2014

via Instagram @whitneynewby
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." - John 16:33
From a Charles Spurgeon sermon... "I note how He bids me 'be of good cheer.' [In some translations, the imperative to "take heart" is translated "be of good cheer."] Alas! I am far too apt to be downcast. My spirit soon sinks when I am sorely tired. But I must not give way to this feeling . .  . What is the argument which He uses to encourage me? Why, it is His own victory. He says, 'I have overcome the world.' . . . See, my soul, the enemy has been once overcome. I fight with a beaten foe. O world, Jesus has already vanquished thee; and in me, by His grace, He will overcome thee again. Therefore am I of good cheer and sing unto my conquering Lord."
This is a lesson I'm learning daily, a reminder I need daily. Take heart! Be of good cheer! As a Christian, the battle against the world (or, more specifically, against the Enemy and against the deepest, darkest desires of my own sinful flesh) has already been won for me. So I have to "take heart" and rest in the finished work of Christ on the cross. I can only conquer my circumstances and my sin because He's already won the war. I rest in His righteousness alone. Or, as our pastor said yesterday in his sermon, I take my heaping platter of sin and He exchanges it for His heaping platter of righteousness. What a gift.

On another note, it was truly therapeutic to sit down and embroider this by hand. It's far from perfect as this was my first foray into hand embroidery, but I had so much fun working on it and meditating on the words as I stitched. If you're interested in teaching yourself a bit about embroidery like I did, this website full of basic tutorials was so helpful.

2 comments:

  1. That Spurgeon quote is so encouraging. And I love your needlework, great job! Perfect mix of old and modern charm. I can see this working really well on throw pillows...you've inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your embroidery looks great, and thanks for sharing such a timely word!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan