DIY Scallop bunting + New products in the shop

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

When I woke up this morning, I saw "16 weeks of pregnancy to go!" blinking on my phone and it hit me. This baby is coming fast. When I picked up Liam out of his crib a few minutes later, I teared up, because 16 weeks left with just him doesn't feel like enough. (Hello, hormones.) And then I got to work making Baby Girl something sweet for her room, because I've done nothing of the sort and because it makes me feel a little more prepared for her. More connected.

My first mini-project for her is this easy, double-sided scallop bunting. I've always loved the semi-vintage look of these, but have been intimidated by how much precise circle-cutting is involved, which would seem to take lots of time. With the right tools, though, you can easily make this in under an hour.

Supplies:
Scrap quilting fabric
1 package extra-wide (1/2") bias tape

Tools:
Sewing machine
Sewing pins
Scissors
Iron and ironing board
Quilting circle cutter*
Rotary cutter, ruler, and self-healing mat*

*These are optional tools, but make the process much quicker.
1. If you're looking to purchase a rotary circle cutter, I use and recommend this one: OLFA Rotary Circle Cutter.
2. Use the circle cutter to cut 5" circles. I cut 3 circles out of 4 different fabrics for a total of 12 circles. If you don't have access to a circle cutter, you can easily trace the bottom of a can or jar and cut along your traced lines.
3. Cut each circle in half, using a rotary cutter, mat, and ruler.
4. Placing right sides together, sew around the curved edges of each half-circle using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving the top open.
5. Turn pennants right side out, pressing well with a hot iron. Also, use iron to press the bias tape so there are no creases where it's been folded in the package. (Leave the bias tape fold creased... do not press open.)
6. Open the bias tape and place the straight edge of each of the pennants inside the fold, then close and pin. I chose to leave a finger-space between each pennant. Also, make sure you leave a small tail (8" to 12") on either side so that you have some extra bias tape to use for hanging. Begin sewing at the beginning of the bias tape, sewing close to the open edge, sew for 8" to 12", then sew each pennant inside the folds. After you're finished sewing, trim the excess bias tape and you're done! My final bunting measures approximately 7 feet, which includes 10" of bias tape on each end for hanging.

Last but not least, some new products in the Brighter Day shop! I had a few of my favorite calligraphy prints turned into canvases so they're ready to hang right on the wall. I love how they turned out. They're excellent quality and come with hanging hardware already attached. Only a few are available, so visit the shop to see them all. They're all ready to ship and would make the sweetest gifts!

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful and simple diy creation. Thanks for sharing. And please do keep sharing. I will be waiting for more posts like this. Thanks :)

    Assignment writing service reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the listed hand-crafted things are so good! They will really help to develop some skills. And they are interesting too. I was always searching for new ideas for my house using Writingelites.net reviews but now I'll try this ideas too.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan