Baby moccs.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Size 0-3 months on the left, size 6-12 months on the right
Like lots of you (I assume), I love baby moccasins. They're stylish, warm, and tend to stay on baby's feet. But I just can't bring myself to pay $60 for baby shoes that will be quickly outgrown. 

So I found this Baby & Toddler Moccasin downloadable sewing pattern on Etsy - $8
+ 12" x 12" leather from this shop (one piece was plenty for one pair of moccasins) - $6 each
+ a small piece of sherpa fabric for the cozy lining, purchased at Joann - $2

(I already had leather sewing needles, clips to hold the leather pieces together, and elastic. But those are minimal costs if you need to buy them, too.)

I've now made three pairs of moccs and have spent a total of $28, making each pair $9.33 (with leather left over for other small projects). I'll take that over spending $60 any day!

The pattern by NoriChild on Etsy is pretty perfect. It includes sizes from 0-3 months all the way up to   2T/3T. It's possible Lanie has small feet for her age, but she is 8 months old and wears the 3-6 month size comfortably (the 6-12 month size was huge on her). The pattern also goes into detail about sewing leather, if you haven't experimented with it before (I hadn't). The shoes feel well crafted, sturdy, and will seem to last a long time. We've already gotten lots of use out of ours. Just thought I'd pass it along!
Lanie, checking out her new shoes

11 comments:

  1. whoa! great work.
    Also- she's cruising? impressive. that 2nd kid hits many milestones faster, but this is super fast! (love her sweet littleness standing!)
    - this is a gal named kristin- not anonymous (just didn't want to sign out the hubs on gmail!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! Yes... so crazy how fast it happens. She was standing on her own at 7 months. Crazy since our first didn't walk until about 15 months!

      Delete
  2. They turned out great! I love making mocassins but I needed some more leather...thanks for the source! If you are ever visiting Chicago, there is a great fabric warehouse there with tons of leather for cheap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! I wish I could visit Chicago right NOW!

      Delete
  3. Those are adorable! How long did it take you to make one pair? Could a novice do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It only took an hour to make one pair. It was surprisingly quick to come together. And yes! I do think a novice could do it, though it might help to have someone more experienced alongside you the first time. Also, I have a pretty heavy duty machine that had no trouble handling the leather, but I might be nervous about a lightweight machine that isn't used to sewing on it. But yes... there are no super tricky techniques about it!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much! I want to try but will wait until the next time my mom comes to visit so she can help me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shoes. Thanks for share your valuable post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Those are soooo cute! I want those for my baby girl. I will make them right away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I want this for my daughter. I'll probably make few and sell them online.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan