Flower Child DIY

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

It's been a whiiiiile since I've posted any sort of DIY, and today's rain prompted me to open my craft room door and get creative.

So we've all seen (and probably have at least one) the flower headbands that are so popular right now. THey can be made of fabric, feathers, or all kinds of materials. I, personally, am a big fan. I love the femininity they add to almost any look.

So on that note, I've been making some of my own. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than buying them from Anthro and very rewarding. This is just one of the ways to make one, and we're starting simple. Also, you probably have a lot of the supplies you need just laying around.

It all starts with an artificial flower. I got this one for a dollar at Hobby Lobby. Pluck that flower off of its stem so you just have a bud. Flatter flowers with lots of layers work the best.
IMG_9624

Next, pull the hard center of the flower out and pull the petals apart so your flower looks like this:
IMG_9627

You want the loose petals on top of one another. (Be careful not to pull them completely apart so you forget what order they go in.)

In between the petals you'll find these little plastic pieces:
IMG_9629
Go ahead and pull those out and throw them away. You'll lose some of the shape of your flower, but that's the point. You want the flower to lay flatter on your head instead of staying in a more round shape.

Next, find some buttons.
IMG_9630

You don't have to add a button to the center, but I think it makes it a little more unique. You could also use beads for this part.
IMG_9631

You can lay different buttons on top of your flower to see which one might look best.
IMG_9632
IMG_9633

Once you find one you like, hand sew the button onto the flower.
IMG_9634
IMG_9636

In the mean time, grab some elastic. This one is pretty thin: I found it in my grandmother's sewing box. You could also use a hard headband that you already have - up to you.
IMG_9625

It's hard to tell in this picture, but I just wrapped the elastic around my head, cut it to fit, then sewed the ends on top of each other with a needle and thread to create a loop.
IMG_9640

The last thing you need is some felt or other fabric. Cut a small circle of it.
IMG_9638

Then hot glue it to the back of your flower with your elastic in between. Use plenty of glue to secure it in there.
IMG_9641

And you have a finished project!
IMG_9685
IMG_9706

Happy crafting. :)

7 comments:

  1. aw, whit! that is so cute. :)
    are you going to open up your shop again soon?!
    hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely stunning. LOVE! Thanks for sharing your skills =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this! Definitely going to have to try this one. :)

    PS. Can I just say that although I know you're super swamped I'm so looking forward to when your Etsy shop re-opens! :) I'm starting to think through fall jewelery & getting too excited ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just made a few - thanks for the great idea and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. where did you buy the flowers from? sooo beautiful. I'll be starting this DIY very soon.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan