Chicago with Mom.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

I've been a terrible blogger.

But I've had a busy and wonderful week, and therefore, I feel no remorse. :)

Mom came to visit on Thursday and just left this afternoon. We had so much fun with her! Shawn and I are both so thankful that she's not only an amazing mom, but an incredible friend and spending time with her (and Dad) never gets old.

Some highlights from our weekend:
Walking through Lincoln Park on the most gorgeous day
Sipping tea at Argo
Visiting Shawn at his job
IMG_7976
Behind Shawn's counter

IMG_7977

IMG_7984

IMG_7985
Beautiful Mom with her toasted marshmallow latte

IMG_7987

Thrifting at the Ark
Riding many buses and one train
Eating lunch at the biggest Whole Foods you've ever seen
Getting pedicures
Dinner at RA Sushi
Caramel-cheese popcorn mix from Garrett's
Enjoying a free concert in Millennium Park featuring the stars of the Lyric Opera

IMG_7996
On our way to Millennium Park

IMG_8002
The concert from our amazing seats - this night was magical!

Buying pumpkins and honeycrisp apples at the Farmer's Market on Division

IMG_8015
Shawn will love me for this. :) Enjoying his honeycrisp apple

Perusing the Renegade Craft Fair in Wicker Park
(if you're in Chicago this weekend, you should go! It's 300+ booths full of creativity. Soak it up!)
IMG_8021

IMG_8026
With Josiah and Jamie at the fair

Thanks so much for spending the weekend with us, Mom. We love you and are excited to see you again in 2 short weeks!

We're Moving
For all of our Chicago friends, I have some sad news. We are leaving town for a long while (i.e. moving) on Monday, September 28th. I know, I know. That is so soon! We know there will be no way to say goodbye to everyone, but we would love to see as many people as possible before we go. Chicago has been so good to us, and the Lord has blessed us immensely by putting some lifelong friends in our path. My heart hurts as I think about driving away from the city, but I feel so strongly that we are following God's perfect plan for us as we follow Him to Texas! We're excited for this next adventure.

Health Update
I don't always mention the health issues that I've been dealing with for almost 6 months now because a.) I still don't have all the answers and b.) I really don't want it to seem depressing. It has felt a little hopeless at times, mainly because just haven't known what's going on. But after a myriad of blood tests and a couple misdiagnoses, I think I have an answer. Gluten. From now on, I'll be on a completely gluten-free diet. I have so much to learn, and I'm sure some of the recipes I post in the coming days will look a little differently, but I hope you'll learn along with me. And if anyone has any gluten-free recipes or advice, please feel free to pass them along. I am thrilled to give this a try and am hopeful that I'll be symptom-free soon!

My Husband
I just have to brag on him for a minute. When he asks me, "What can I do for you?" on a daily basis, he means it. The other day, I answered, "You could make one dinner a week for us. That would help me a lot." So for the last 3 weeks or so, he has made fabulous meals from scratch and I arrive home on Thursday nights to this:
IMG_7968

IMG_7971

IMG_7974
Breaded chicken, broiled zucchini with parmesan, and green beans, ciabatta with olive oil dipping sauce, and frozen grapes. Yes, please.

What a blessing. My Shawn is learning to cook... and excelling at it! I am one lucky girl.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to mention gluten a while ago to you, but also didn't want to intrude on something I have also experienced and know is intimate and frustrating. You and I had very similar problems and last year I cut gluten out of my diet. It has helped incredibly. Although I ended up not being allergic to gluten Ray and have I made the change(almost)completely.We have discovered that gluten and my struggle with anxiety = a lot of pain digesting food. Know that I will covering you in prayer during this change! Just in case you are looking for some good brands . . . Pamela's baking powder (and all other mixes) is a great brand. Although my husband doesn't mind it, I think Bob's mixes taste a bit like cardboard. Tinkyada Pasta Joy is great because it doesn't fall apart. There is an online cookbook by Katie Ross that you can download to your computer that has great recipes! And here are a few of my favorite websites:
    glutenfreebay.blogspot.com
    celiac.com
    rachaelray.com
    glutenfreemommy.com

    Praying for you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Whitney, I didn't want to be a blog stalker, so I thought I would make my presence known. :) I found your blog through Sarah Miller's blog. She is a friend of mine. I live in Waco, Texas, but I'm actually a Midwestern girl at heart. You can check out my blog for more information on how God got us to Texas. :) I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know that I really have enjoyed your natural recipes! I am also glad for you that you are beginning to understand your struggle with gluten. I know how much better Sarah has felt in the last few months. May God bless you as you replant yourself in Texas and learn the art of long distance friendships. My hubby and I will lift you and your husband up in our prayers as you prepare for this transition.

    On another random note, I am obsessed with your cute vintage rose bobby pins on your etsy site!

    In Christ,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Whit-
    I just wanted to share a blog that I read that happens to be gluten free! I haven't tried many recipes, but they look delicious :) It's http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ And Good Luck with your upcoming move!
    -Whit

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan