The weekend I turned 25.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Did you know that my husband is the master of surprises?
If not, read this. Then come back. Because he surprised me again.

This time, the occasion was a big birthday of mine. On Thursday evening in the half hour we had together before I left for work, he had me open a gift: It was this purse, and when I looked inside...
Two tickets to Les Miserables. In Chicago. TOMORROW NIGHT!

We were leaving TOMORROW MORNING for Chicago! And we were going to spend the rest of the weekend (until Sunday night) in our very favorite, very snowy city. Could it get any better? (He really did have me fooled... I was scheduled to work the entire weekend...)

So we just got back a few minutes ago and I can honestly say it couldn't get any better. It was absolutely the perfect weekend.

IMG_6695
View from our hotel room
IMG_6696
Another view from our hotel room
Some highlights...
Dinner at Wildfire. This place was phenomenal, especially because of their gluten-free menu.
IMG_6714
Gluten-intolerant Chicago friends: you have to go! As soon as our waitress saw my gluten-free menu, she brought me my own loaf of gluten-free bread. WHAT?! That was a first. We also had spinach artichoke dip with pita-like gluten-free bread, steak, roasted veggies, and a flourless chocolate molten cake for dessert. I'm drooling just remembering it.
IMG_6715

Les Miserables! This musical has been a lifelong love for me, and seeing it Chicago with my precious husband made it even sweeter (is that possible?). I was crying by the second song. If you've never seen it or read the book, I highly recommend it. It's the most beautiful picture of grace and redemption you can imagine.

Lots and lots of Argo tea. It's just a must when I'm in Chicago.
IMG_6750
IMG_6753

My first gluten-free cupcake! A Sprinkles cupcake, which made it even better.
IMG_6703

Seeing our dear friends Kirra and Taylor. This is always, always a highlight for us. And with our record right now, we've seen them about every 3 months since we've moved (and we'd like to keep it that way). :) Kirra and I were sporting our twin coats. Twin coats that look like sausages. :) We promise we're not as puffy as we look!
IMG_6705
IMG_6706
IMG_6708
IMG_6709

Sleeping in until 9am. 

Not working. 

Seeing Shawn alllll weekend long. 
IMG_6745
IMG_6736
IMG_6734


Two slow, yummy brunches at hole-in-the-wall restaurants downtown.

Movies in our hotel room. Have you seen this? It's adorable! 

SNOW! And lots of it! 
IMG_6751
IMG_6744
IMG_6700
IMG_6697
IMG_6698


Michigan Avenue with Christmas lights still up.
IMG_6717
IMG_6724

Have I gushed enough?
I think so.
And I think it's time to snap back to reality: homework, laundry, you know... normalcy. :)
This trip sure was a blessing and a refreshment to my soul.

IMG_6746
IMG_6733

Thank you, my love!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Whitney! Glad you could enjoy a weekend in Chicago. Blessings on you in your 25th year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Glad we got a peek into the weekend!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how cool!! That is such a great surprise. :) Your pictures are great too, as always. Hope that life is more interesting than just "normal" as you continue to live in the leftover excitement from your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so fun! i love weekends long with the husband, musicals and great restaurants. this makes me happy. you two are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! You seriously have the best husband ever! :) So sweet! What hotel did you guys stay at? I am thinking of going up in March, and would love some ideas on where to stay. :) Looks like you had a lot of fun!

    {My e-mail is whitleigh(dot)harp(at)gmail(dot)com}

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yay! what a fun surprise! i just celebrated my 25th birthday, too~ glad to see yours was filled with so much joy and love! happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very fun! I loved the pictures- the one of your view! Amazing! And for the record- I am the one that looks like a sausage- not you! ;) Miss you already! See you in 3 months? Ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a happy birthday and wonderful husband!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, what a great surprise present!

    Happy birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. shawn is always so good at surprising you!! what a great weekend, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so glad that you were able to make it in this weekend! and sounds like you had a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok. So I am ABSOLUTELY LOVING all of your blog!! You have such a sweet husband! I read your whole "love story" and hated when I got to the end!
    So nice to "meet" you over cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan