Gluten free banana bread in a mug.

Monday, March 11, 2013

For the past few years, I really haven't been a fan of using the microwave. I prefer a stove or oven for most of the cooking around here. But for this? Well... for this, I make an exception. It's the perfect one-serving afternoon treat paired with a cup of decaf while baby naps and I get to work on sewing orders. To be clear, that's in a perfect world. Today it's the perfect treat while I listen to over-tired baby screaming from his crib. But hey. It still makes the afternoon brighter.

I've adapted this recipe for a cookie in a mug by making it into a banana bread and making it gluten-free. However, if you're not restricted to eating gluten-free, I have a feeling it would be just as delicious replacing the gluten-free flour in the recipe with normal flour. It makes for a decadent, cakey treat that's sweet, gooey, and comforting.

Ingredients: 
1 tablespoon melted butter
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon sugar
Scant 1/4 cup gluten-free flour*
1/2 very ripe banana, mashed
Dash of salt
Few drops of vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients with a fork in the bottom of a microwave-safe mug. Microwave for 45 to 60 seconds (mine is perfect at 55 seconds, but all microwaves are different) until the banana bread is cooked through. Eat it while it's hot and enjoy every bite.

*I use Pamela's GF Pancake & Baking Mix Flour, but again, I think it would work just fine with normal flour. I haven't tried it (for obvious reasons), but if you do - let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Your son won't touch it, but glad to know his mama would. :)

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I think I'm going to bring the ingredients to work for an afternoon snack. You've just changed my tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since the Pamelas has baking powder in it, I wonder if you'd need to add that if using regular flour . . .
    This looks SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random suggestion, my friend's brother developed a trick for helping her baby fall asleep when she is overly tired. He would take his niece into direct sunlight, forcing her to close her eyes from the brightness, and in a minute or two she would finally fall asleep. Not sure if it will do you any good, but it worked wonders for that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a big banana bread fan myself but glad to see your back after your break, trust that it was a well deserved rest!

    glitter-bug-blog.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan