Liam's new quilt.

Monday, March 25, 2013


Several weeks ago, I saw this triangle quilt popping up on Pinterest quite a bit, and I loved the idea of making one for little guy. I've never made a quilt before, but the instructions seemed simple enough and I got started on my very first one. Some people have commented that it only took them a few hours... I'd say it took 6 or 8 for me. I spread it out over a few weeks and would work on it when I needed a break from more difficult sewing.

Here's the progress... 

Laying out the triangles. This part was pretty random... I just wanted the colors to be somewhat equally spaced, but there was no real method. The colors I chose: dark grey, lime green, light avocado, cream, white, and light blue. I think it works best to stick with several neutrals/similar shades, then add pops of color and some contrast. I found all of these cotton solids at Joann's and used sales/coupons, so the whole thing probably cost less than $20 to make.

Piecing it together, row by row. Definitely the most time consuming part.

The top almost finished...

Done!
(Liam already looks so much bigger!)
There were only a couple times I veered from the tutorial. First, I added a layer of flannel between the front and back. I didn't want it to be puffy, but I wanted it to have a bit of weight to it. One layer of flannel was perfect for this. 

 I also added an avocado green binding instead of the black and white stripe. I thought it would go a little better in our house.

 For the back, I added a row of triangles for interest, just like the original tutorial.
And that's it! While I was working on it, I kept thinking, "This will be the first and last quilt I'll ever make." Now that it's done, though, I'm inspired to do more (of course). As soon as I finished it, I threw it in the washer and the dryer to give it that worn, crinkly look that I just love. It's far from perfect (especially the mitered corners... yikes), but it's super soft and cozy.  

PS - See him getting up on his knees and rocking? Too SOON!


22 comments:

  1. Absolutely fabulous! That quilt is amazing then you stick your adorable baby one it and you have a darling masterpiece of a picture! So wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool quilt! I love the triangles. And you have the perfect model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay only one word: AWESOME! I love the colours you chose, they are bright and happy but still masculine and homey at the same time! Well done for your first go! Plus that model you have is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E! I can totally see what you mean when you say he looks bigger in the two pictures, he's a growing young man!! :D

    glitter-bug-blog.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors, it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt!
    Liam is just the yummiest little guy. He is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours you picked. I never know what colours or fabrics to put together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make t-shirt quilts (memorysquared.com) and quilt them and piece quilts on a long arm quilting machine. The best site to learn and get so many ideas is the Missouri Star Quilting Co. Nice job on your first quilt. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a SUPER impressive first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pinned this a few months ago and now you just inspired me to ACTUALLY do something I pinned. That Liam, he is a cutie pie. Great job.

    <3, Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely! I started my first quilt this weekend. I've got it all done other than the binding. It's been such a fun activity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The quilt is beautiful! I love how you make this look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have you ever seen Life as We Know it? There's a funny scene where Josh Duhamel pushes the baby girl down because she's about to take her first steps without Katherine Heigl being there. I kinda want to schoochie Liam back down just because it's too soon! Too soon! Haha. Also. I this is the randomest comment I've ever left you. And I had to google those two actors names so I would spell them right. I should be doing laundry. Help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous!I wish I was brave enough to take on a quilt! Your little Liam is so adorable, I can't stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously. Completely love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is amazing! Oh how I wish I could cut a straight line and make a quilt like this! Beautiful.
    And your boy IS growing quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you only quilted across the rows....are you sure that's all you want? With nothing holding the rest together, it can get kinda funky over time....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this quilt and am getting ready to start my own. Quick question: did you pre-wash or starch your fabric before you started?

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan