My first dress.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I wish you could've seen how intensely awkward this photo session was. I started out holding Liam (until he spit up all over himself), and Shawn asked, "Why are you holding him? You can't even see the dress."

Because I'm super uncomfortable having my picture taken by myself. And that's why we ended up with one picture. I would make the worst fashion blogger.

Anyway, the other night I needed something fun and creative to take my mind off the stress of our move. So after Liam went to bed, I tackled my first dress. It's actually the first garment I've ever made for myself. I used the Hazel dress pattern from Colette patterns and adored it. For a first time dressmaker, it was incredibly thorough and easy to understand. I grabbed some chambray-type fabric (not sure exactly what it is) from my stash and the entire thing took less than 4 hours from start to finish. Next time, I'll cut the skirt a bit longer so that I won't have to make such a tiny hem. It's lightweight, has pockets (!!!), is perfect for summer, and I have a feeling I'll be wearing it on repeat. (And making it again and again.)

And now I'm hooked. I want to make lots more clothes because a) it saves so much money and b) it's just seriously fun.

26 comments:

  1. I love it...it's beautiful.
    Great job for a 1st time! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you could come decorate my house and update my wardrobe?!!! That's so super cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Jess... you do not need any help in either of those departments! But I'd love to see what you did with the table sometime!

      Delete
  3. O wow, great dress! Well done!
    Grtz, Esrosa (Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beutiful dress! I love the pattern and you've inspired me to try making clothes.
    You photograph beautifully too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress, love the fabric choice and cut! And your picture is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Hazel and it looks great on you!
    Oh, and I also hate having taken pictures by myself :)
    Mary @ http://handmadebymaryall.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely and the color is so you...It looks BEAUTIFUL on you! I hope you got the e-mail I send you on 6/4/13...BLESSINGS :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making clothes becomes addictive;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just did exactly the same over the long weekend we just had in Western Australia. I cut up an older worn-out dress that I loved, tweaked it a bit and made a new one. First finished garment I have ever made and now I just want to make more! Yours looks fantastic, love the fabric choice. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fab! Dresses are tough for me because of the darts... I think you need some sort of bust to have effective darts ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I had to adjust the bust darts about five times to make it fit and not be totally baggy... an interesting learning curve there (no pun intended). :)

      Delete
  11. You did a wonderful job on your first garment and look great!

    igetmycraftyfrommymama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look lovely! Great job with the dress, I love sewing clothes for myself but it has been a very long time since I've made anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's great. Did you get the download Colette pattern or a hard copy. I'm making my daughter a dress from her also. Should be great. You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I downloaded it because I was impatient. I loved it!

      Delete
  14. The dress is beautiful..n looks like its been made by a professional. N u r so pretty that u wud very easily be a fashion blogger.
    But yes..i wud have loved liam in this pic.

    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha how did I know you'd like to have Liam in it?!

      Delete
  15. Beautiful dress. Whit, you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seriously pretty. I love your choice of a simple chambray - it looks so chic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dress was perfect for my daughter. She loved it. She got it for her aunt's wedding coming up. I couldn't wait after placing the order as I was worried about the fit and length of the dress.
    Vera Wang Wedding Gowns

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan