A boy and his books.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

The day we brought Liam home from the hospital, I felt what most brand new moms undoubtedly feel: a little lost. He was just 24 hours old, I was as hormonal and sleep-deprived as I'd ever been, and I wished he'd come with a manual of what to do next. Though I had plenty of experience babysitting, being a mom was a completely new experience. 

But the moment I cozied up in his big brown rocker, held his warm body on my chest and read to him, I felt a little less lost. I read the The Jesus Storybook Bible out loud, and even though I couldn't get through more than a sentence without tearing up, reading to my one-day-old son calmed him. It calmed both of us. Reading to him became one of the few times I felt natural as a mother. So we read. Every day.

If we're home for lunch these days, we have a few minutes after we've eaten before he takes his afternoon nap. So I strip him down to his diaper and as I clean the kitchen, he heads to his favorite spot: his box of books. He pulls them out one by one, flips the pages quietly, and makes my heart sing. There may be very little evidence right now that I'm doing something right as his mother. But this? This feels right. I might even go so far as to say it feels like a legacy. If in a small way I'm passing down a love for reading and learning to him, I'll consider it a big accomplishment as his mom. 
Maybe you're looking for good books to give as Christmas gifts for a niece, a nephew, or your little one? The Jesus Storybook Bible and Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing are by far our favorites. We read them every day. But we also love these:




Do you have book recommendations for Liam? I'm sure he'd love to hear...

9 comments:

  1. As a nanny and now a kinder teacher I love to read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, the Llama Llama books, the Skippyjon Jones books (with fun voices, of course), and anything Dr. Seuss. Giraffes Can't Dance was a favorite with the kids when I was a nanny along with Moosetache and The Underpants Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such sweet pictures. I feel the same way - I read with my little guy every day, and I hope he will love reading as much as I do. Thank you for the book suggestions. We have several of the Sandra Boynton ones too. I am going to check out the rest of those.

    One of our favorites is "In My Tree" by Sara Gillingham. There are other ones too in that same series. I am hoping to get one or two of them to save as Christmas or birthday presents for our little man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post could not come at a more perfect time! I am being induced with my first son on Monday and was literally just thinking that this weekend I need to get him a Bible. I will have to check out the Jesus Storybook Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very long essays generally carry higher scores as compared to short essays. But generating an prolonged essay within an short period top essay writing in UK can be a difficult job pertaining to even a great award-winning writer, and even further so regarding a high school student.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Liam, Your mom was (and is) a great reader! I should know, I was her English teacher. Here are some books I think you would like (and if you get the board books, you can also CHEW them): the Carl books, In a Napping House, I'll Teach my Dog A Lot of Words, and Goodnight, Gorilla.
    Keep Reading! Soon you will be ready for Dante, Homer, and Shakespeare!
    Melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear (former, way former) Miss Franklin,
      That made my day. :) And Liam's, of course.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Splat the Cat books are adorable. Pete the Cat is also a fun and colorful one done by a fun artist! Zoomer by Ned Young. The Big Hungry Bear and the Red Ripe Strawberry. I love Audrey Wood as an author. She does some very fun books.

    Reading is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading is the best! And when they are older and less inclined to snuggle, reading is the way to capture them for a short time every day :) We love "Go, Dogs, Go".

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might look for "Peak-A-Who?" by Nina Laden. I picked it up for my niece at Easter one year and she's loved it.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan