My book wish list: Non-fiction edition.

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

My ongoing wish list for books is always longer than other wish lists I might have going: clothes, shoes, cosmetics, toys for Liam. So here's my current non-fiction wish list (fiction books coming sometime soon). You can click on any of the titles below to take you straight to Amazon to purchase them. As a disclaimer, I haven't read any of these and therefore can't vouch for their content. I've only read reviews online and heard reviews from friends I trust. I would love to hear what's on your wish list and if you've read any of these! Christmas can't come soon enough (hint, hint). 

Several friends have recommended this one: Gospel reminders for busy moms that are short, packed with Scripture, and devoid of fluff. Yes, yes, and yes.

2. Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family by Catherine Newman
The author wrote this book during a difficult pregnancy with her second child while caring for her toddler. Sounds familiar and looks warm and funny.

3. Overcoming Fear, Worry, and Anxiety: Becoming a Woman of Faith and Confidence by Elyse Fitzpatrick
I like everything I've ever read that Elyse Fitzpatrick has authored, and I have a feeling this would be no different. This past year - our transition to Raleigh - has probably been my most difficult year yet as far as worrying and feeling anxious, and the hormones of pregnancy (with a miscarriage thrown in) and two moves since being here haven't helped. I was fortunate to not deal with much postpartum emotional trauma after Liam's birth, but I think this would be a great read to prepare for the sleepless nights and inevitable hormone shifts when baby arrives.

4. Hands Free Mama: A Guide to Putting Down the Phone, Burning the To-Do List, and Letting Go of Perfection to Grasp What Really Matters by Rachel Stafford
This just seems like it would hit home in so many ways and for so many women. Putting down the phone? I can do that. Burning the to-do list? Maybe a little harder. Letting go of perfection? Hardest yet. I think I need this.

5. Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds by Jen Wilkins
My friend Kelli, whom I really admire, recommended this and it looks so good. As one with a Bible degree, it's easy to study the Bible with my head and it became much harder to apply it to my heart after graduating. It honestly took a few years before I felt like I could see the Bible as something more than a textbook again. This looks refreshing.

6. Desperate: Hope for the Mom Who Needs to Breathe by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson
When a friend who has 4-year-old twins and an almost 2-year-old (can you imagine?) recommended this and said it was life changing for her, I had to add it to my list.

*If you use these links to purchase the books from Amazon, they'll give me a tiny commission for recommending them. They don't cost any more to you, and my nightstand says "thank you!"

11 comments:

  1. you MUST read waiting for birdy. SO good. i related to it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE to read Treasuring Christ When Your Hands Are Full...looks to be just exactly what I need to hear in this never-slow-down-kinda-life. I picked up Hands Free Mama a few months back and honestly, wasn't blown away by it. GREAT concepts, but could easily be about 100 pages shorter and still get the same message across. Just my opinion-- too bad we live so far apart, I'd loan it to you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda wondered about that same thing... like maybe it could be condensed to a long article or something? Glad to know.

      Delete
  3. Treasuring Christ when your hands are full, is excellent. One of my favorite 'mom' books. I also did the Women of the Word, month long challenge. It was also very good. I need to take a look at the book. My currant non fiction books are, 'True Beauty' 'Mother at Home,' 'Mother's of the Wise and Good' and 'A Chance to Die.' I haven't finished any of them yet, so I'll have to let you know how they all turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay - another good recommendation. :) I read A Chance to Die several years ago and loved it. But it also took me a long time to finish it for some reason. Her sacrificial life is so inspiring.

      Delete
  4. maybe a blog book exchange/club is in order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to read the Desperate one now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks so good! I think it's a series of letters written to and from a young mother and an older mother/mentor. I love the concept.

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan