My camera.

Friday, January 8, 2010


Probably the most frequent question I've received since starting this blog is,
"What kind of camera do you use?"

Let me just preface this by saying that I am no expert. So for all of you camera gurus out there, I'm sorry if the language I use isn't very technical. I'll just try to explain it all in a way that amateurs like myself understand, and hopefully inspire you in the process!

I use a Canon Rebel XTi that Shawn bought me for a Christmas gift a couple years ago (one of my favorite Christmas gifts ever!). I don't think either one of us really knew how much I would love this camera.

I recommend everything in the Canon Rebel series because the photo quality is excellent, but it's also a very user friendly camera. There are now newer, improved models out there and I can say as a first-time photographer, this was the perfect camera to start out with and grow. Shawn has taught me quite a bit, but I have also learned a lot myself by just adjusting the settings and learning what I like. One thing you have to love about digital is that you get automatic feedback! No need to wait for film to develop and try to remember how you had the settings.

I will say that lenses make a world of difference. My camera came with the lens shown in the photo above - a versatile 18-55mm lens that zooms and takes pretty good photos. It's a good lens for outdoor shots that you need a wide angle.

But my favorite lens - and the one that stays on my camera about 90% of the time - is my Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. It lets a lot of light in, so the depth of field is amazing and it's easy to take great photos even in low-light situations. I use it almost exclusively for the pictures on my blog. It doesn't zoom (which takes a bit of getting used to) but it's great for people shots, food shots, and most other still life.

Later on, you may want to invest in a telephoto lens to capture more from a distance, such as action shots during a football game or a bird in a distant tree. Also, I love using my macro lens for photos in my Etsy shop.

Last but not least, we started using Lightroom as editing software in the past few months and we LOVE it! It is extremely easy to use and has great results! I have also recently learned to use Photoshop and I love that for graphic design purposes, but if you're looking for a software that edits photos (and you don't need graphic design features), go with Lightroom!

I hope that answers some of your questions. Let me know if you have any more and I'll try to answer them (or have my photographer husband answer them).

Most importantly, have fun!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Whitney. We dropped our digital camera while we were in Germany over Christmas, and we're looking into investing in a new one. I love Rebels too! We have an old school Eos film one that we used after we dropped the other one on our trip. Thank goodness we took two! I'm going to look into Lightroom as well. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a huge competition among the best gaming platforms xbox live code generator available but this one I found is the best for all kind of xbox gaming.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan