DIY easiest pillow you'll ever make.

Monday, November 8, 2010

This was one of those ideas I saw in a magazine a while back and thought, "I have to try that."

You start with a placemat.
IMG_4327

I bought this one from Target for $2.99. You just need to make sure that it's double sided (instead of just a piece of fabric that's hemmed all the way around).

Grab your seam ripper and pull out the hem on one side of your placemat. I chose the right side.
IMG_4323
IMG_4324

Once you've ripped out that seam, you will need to rip through the seam holding the two pieces together just inside.
IMG_4325

I just ripped a few inches open - enough space to stuff with my filling.
IMG_4326

Next, grab your polyfill (or even the filling from an old pillow you don't like anymore) and start stuffing.
IMG_4328
IMG_4329

When it's full enough, press the open end together and pin along the edge. You don't have to be quite as OCD about this step as I was. :)
IMG_4330

Now sew a straight line near the very edge that matches the other hems and you've got a new pillow! A pillow that was, in its former life, a placemat.

IMG_4332

Who would even know?!
IMG_4333

17 comments:

  1. what a great, cheap idea!!! totally gonna copy! thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um that is incredible. Wish I could remember how to sew a straight line. Goodness gracious I need help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I'm with KS though...I hope I can sew a straight line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. who would have thought that's a placemat?! sooo cool!!!

    loved talking with you yesterday. miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow.... seriously?! this is too brilliant. yours turned out incredibly cute, whitney! i must try it! thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. brilliant! i can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love being crafty but never make time to do it! Thank you for inspiring us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I did this for some Christmas gifts from some Anthropologie placemats, and I was looking EVERYwhere for the blog that I got the idea from. One of my readers commented that it could be from here. It was--- Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea!! I enjoy reading your blog so much and you have inspired me in decorating my home! I am new to blogging and just wrote a post that I linked your post to. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    http://the-shiny-side.blogspot.com/2011/06/rescue-of-throw-pillow.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have this exact same pillow made the same way! How funny. I did this last spring. I never saw the idea anywhere, but I loved the placemat so much, I just had to make it into a pillow. Your blog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wait for the after-holiday markdowns on cute placemats at Kohl's. They have to have a plain back that wasn't stitched all the way through though. I rip open one end and stuff them and use them for holiday gifts. So easy and so cheap.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan