DIY Pottery Barn-style pillow.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Have you seen Pottery Barn's Christmas display yet? 

I know, I know. Thanksgiving hasn't even passed and I'm already talking about Christmas. (In my defense, we've been painting Christmas-themed paintings almost every night at work with a fully decorated tree in the entrance and Christmas music playing. But hey, can't complain!)

Anyway.

I'm really loving Pottery Barn's theme this year that involves lots of burlap, old sheet music, and German glass glitter. 

img34l

I saw this pillow there yesterday when my mom and I were browsing and decided I wanted to make a simpler design of the same idea, but with the word "joy" instead.

So first, I made a pillow cover out of some burlap I had left over from another project. You can make your pillow any size. Just make sure there's at least one open end and you haven't stuffed your pillow inside yet. 

IMG_4458

For the words or design, you can either print it out or just free hand it. I free handed it and it worked just fine. I wrote the word "joy" using a Sharpie on the matte side of a sheet of freezer paper. (If you print something out, you can trace it onto the freezer paper.)

Next, cut out the letters with an x-acto knife. Depending on how many letters you use, this can be a super tedious step. That's why I like to keep it short! You could even do one monogrammed letter this way.

IMG_4457

Once you've gotten the word or design cut out, iron the freezer paper onto the pillow.

IMG_4462

Then, make sure there's a piece of paper or cardboard inside the pillow so the paint doesn't bleed through to the other side. Then paint! 
IMG_4463
I used a chocolate brown acrylic paint. Once painted, let it dry completely before peeling off the freezer paper to reveal your design.

IMG_4464

The "joy" was looking a little bare, so I added a branch in the same exact way, using freezer paper and paint.

IMG_4465
IMG_4467

Stuff your pillow form inside and voila! A pretty, yet understated, Christmas pillow. Happy, happy day.
IMG_4473

This project ended up costing me $0 because I already had the burlap as well as a pillow that needed a new cover. But even if you had to buy all the supplies from scratch, you'd spill spend waaaay less than that $49 price tag!

12 comments:

  1. Ohh my goodness, that's beautiful. I'm so tempted to try this! And anything resembling PB without it's price is right up my alley!

    I just had a friend tell me about your pretty little corner here, and I love it! I love how much you love the Lord, love your husband, and love all of the simple, pretty things you can do! Lotsa love going round. ^_^

    ~Rachel
    www.jesusholdsmyjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! I love the font and the combination of styles and textures. nicely done!


    xo,

    Molly Jane


    www.browneyedcharmer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this... perfect christmas gift for a friend! Thank you for sharing :)

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. if your handwriting was a font i'd use it~ beautiful pillow and beautiful reminder to have joy! thanks for sharing your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your handwriting is so beautiful.

    I definitely want to try this idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whitney, you could sell these!! How cute and rustic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Whitney, I am so happy to have found your blog--(thru summer's)! I too am a TN girl--just moved to Chattanooga area a year ago. It is beautiful here. Anyway, I love this pillow! I have had my eye on this from the PB catalogue and some Christmas ones. I am so excited to use your techniques! I am now on the lookout for cute christmas placemats (brilliant idea) and burlap:) I will post about this and give you credit! I really love your blog and find it so inspiring both artistically and spiritually. Thank you for taking the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the Pottery Barn knock off pillow...it's SO cute!

    I just found your blog...a friend told me I would love it. And after reading back through even this first page of posts, I know it's true. Adding your blog to the Google reader, and know I'm encouraged by your words, even my first time here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just found your blog. just became a follower. just love it! :)

    i can't wait to attempt something like your pillow with burlap! i never thought of painting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted to let you know that I featured these throw pillows today at my DIY Throw Pillow round up.
    http://thecraftedsparrow.blogspot.com/2012/04/15-great-ideas-for-diy-throw-pillows.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan