Gluten-free cranberry orange bread.

Friday, January 13, 2012


This cranberry orange bread is as good as it gets!
Usually, I base my critique of gluten-free bread on whether or not anyone can tell it's gluten-free. And this is one of those breads that is so moist and delicious, you'd just never know. I adapted this yummy recipe to make it gluten-free, and it's quickly become one of our favorites!

Ingredients:
Canola oil spray
2 cups Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix*
3/4 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
3/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Finely grated zest of 1 to 2 large oranges
1 cup fresh cranberries, each cut in half

1. Set an oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°.
2. Coat an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan with canola oil spray.
3. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the yogurt and orange juice.
4. Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter with sugar until pale and creamy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
5. Add the eggs gradually, beating continuously to incorporate. Then add the orange zest and vanilla and mix briefly to incorporate.
6. Using the slowest speed of the mixer, add the gluten-free flour in three increments, alternating with the addition of two increments of the yogurt-orange juice mixture. The last addition should be the flour mixture. Do not over mix. Stop the mixer and finish incorporating the ingredients by folding together with a large spatula.
7. Fold in cranberries. The batter should be well combined, but do not over mix or the bread will not be tender.
8. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55 to 65 minutes.

Enjoy!

*I use Pamela's Baking Mix and buy it in bulk from Amazon. It's far cheaper than buying it from Whole Foods or another natural foods market, and it's by far the best gluten-free substitution mix I've tried (and I've tried almost all of them). It's truly the only mix that I can honestly say, "I can't tell a difference." With any other mixes - Bob's Red Mill, King Arthur, even Betty Crocker - you can definitely tell a difference in the texture or the aftertaste. With Pamela's, you can't.

When I was first diagnosed with Celiac, knowing that I had to be gluten-free for the rest of my life was quite a psychological adjustment. The first gluten-free scones I tried to make (not using Pamela's) were so terrible I cried. The only downside to Pamela's is that it does contain a small amount of dairy and tree nuts, so if you're allergic to those, it won't work. Otherwise, I can't recommend it highly enough!

16 comments:

  1. Whitney, I am marking this and going to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing it. I am always looking for good gluten free recipes, emphasis on good! :) Blessings to you, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy! I have a question is there a way you can make it with regular wheat flour or all purpose flour? Thank you so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Just go to this link for the original recipe (which uses normal flour): http://thelunacafe.com/cranberry-orange-yogurt-pecan-bread/

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Whitney. Appreciate it. ;)

      Delete
    3. I just made this and had to do some alteration as I cannot eat eggs, substituted with two tablespoons of flax meal and six Tablespoons of water. Also added a half cup of chopped pecans. It is looking and smelling great coming from the oven.

      Delete
  3. they look GOOD ENOUGH to EAT! :-) May I come over? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, if only we'd both discovered that we needed to go gluten free when we were still at Moody we could have done a lot of this cooking together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Whitney - I just made this & the texture is spongy/doughy. I put it back in the oven for another 10 min. & it didn't change the texture. The flavor is great tho. Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew! I haven't had that problem before. :/

      Delete
  6. Very simple and delicious recipe, Whitney. My only problem was the bread pan size you called for was too small and some of my dough spilled out and burned as it baked. Regardless, thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take your salt precious stones and place some into the toaster openings. Cover the openings with tape or wrap a towel around the toaster, covering the spaces, and secure it set up with an elastic band. bread machine recipes

    ReplyDelete
  9. it is extremely basic to handle.Creehack Apk conserves http://creehack.me them this is impossible to finish the levels. You can likewise

    ReplyDelete
  10. These smartphone business are launching their vivavideomaker you do not have to fret about the combining as well as to modify the video clips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When the installation procedure is finished, Go back to the main food selection. login to netflix Allows you to enjoy motion pictures of any type of languages.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan