Reading.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I've been on a reading kick - especially novels - which probably started when Ashlyne gave me a Kindle last month. (Thanks, Ash!) I think it's also been a nice way to escape our current situation for a few moments a day... soaking in someone else's story for a change. Reading is magic.

Currently reading:
Wonder by R. J. Palacio
It's children's literature, but sometimes, those are the very best stories. (It actually makes me want to pull out some old classics like Where the Red Fern Grows. Oh, wait. I'd have to be in the mood to cry my eyes out for that one.) I'm only halfway through, but loving it. It's impossible not to love Auggie, disfigured face and all, for his vulnerable heart. And it speaks a beautiful message about kindness from what I can tell.

The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness by Timothy Keller
It's a short read, but an important one concerning joy and the freedom we have in Christ. Highly recommend. I mean, how can you go wrong with Tim Keller?

Hey Worship Leader, Are You a Theological Lightweight?  by Ronnie Martin
This topic is kind of a soapbox issue for me, and I think he handled it well. Theologically rich worship is just so necessary in a healthy church.

Just read (this month):
The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman
The most disappointing ending ever, but such thoughtful writing and a story that asks so many ethical questions. Even though I wish I could've rewritten the final pages, I'd still recommend it simply for the quality of writing. It's her first novel. I can't wait for more.

The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother by James McBride
This was my second time reading this memoir, and I loved it just as much as the first time. It's a black man's tribute to his white mother, and deals with race and identity issues, faith, and a strong willed mother who I wish I could've met in real life. Fascinating.

Looking for Alaska by John Green
I adored The Fault in Our Stars by the same author but didn't like this one. The characters were very well developed, but the coarse language in it was such a turn off for me, I hardly finished it. I wish I'd been forewarned.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette: A Novel by Maria Semple
A quick, delightful read. And it made me want to visit Seattle stat.

I Will Carry You: The Sacred Dance of Grief and Joy by Angie Smith
I love Angie's blog, but had a hard time getting into this book. I really wanted to, and would highly recommend it for those who have experienced a miscarriage or have lost a child, but it felt very heavy and drawn out to me. Perhaps in another season it will be more meaningful. Her writing is certainly beautiful and her trust in the Lord is inspiring.

Your turn. What are you reading these days? 

9 comments:

  1. you're very welcome! novels rule :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't allow myself to read for fun during the school year, because my students would have one distracted teacher ( I have so little self control when it comes to a good book), but one of my favorites since I started reading with my Kindle is Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. I have a feeling you'd love it.

    I also love Lynn Austin novels. Eve's Daughters is my favorite. I could read it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVED Same Kind of Different As Me (and cried, of course). What a beautiful story.

      I haven't heard of Lynn Austin. Totally going to look it up. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for these detailed, honest reviews! I feel like so often I can't determine if I will actually enjoy a book. I too, loved, A Fault in Our Stars and am thankful for the warning about the Alaska book. I'm thinking of picking up Where'd You Go, Bernadette! Thanks again! Enjoy the first few days in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I like to read some Amazon reviews (and hope there aren't spoilers) to get an idea, but still. I'd much rather get a recommendation from a friend. Read the Bernadette one! You'll love the writing style and it's just a refreshing read.

      Delete
  4. i've been eying the "Wonder eye" and the "where'd you go, bernadette" books for a bit. thanks for the write ups. i read lots of books... my goal is to average 1/week the whole year. i'm a bit behind, i think, but not TOO far at 32 books. eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer (SO good so far) and plugging away at the complete Sherlock Holmes in my spare bits of time. Next on the list is Walking on Water by Madeline L'Engle; it's even sitting right here on my bedside table, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I totally adore being a mom, but being able to sit and read uninterrupted for hours at a time is something that I really miss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hearing about what you are reading! I've written down your recommendations and am going to make a trip to the library tomorrow to take on my road trip to Baylor Homecoming this weekend! Yay! Some of my book recommendations are The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Cutting for Stone, The Glass Castle, The Namesake, and What Alice Forgot. Loved all of those!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan