DIY: $1 Valentine's Day Mugs

Thursday, January 23, 2014

These sweet mugs could not be any easier to make - or any cheaper. The only supplies you need are plain white mugs that are dishwasher/microwave/oven safe (I bought mine for $1 each at Dollar Tree), a Sharpie, and an oven. Any color sharpie will work.
First, I chose two of my very favorite "love" quotes:

"To love another person is to see the face of God." - Victor Hugo, Les Miserables

"It was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were supposed to be together . . . and I knew it." 
- Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle

Then I just took a deep breath and started writing with my Sharpie.
*Tip: If you mess up big time, use rubbing alcohol (or nail polish remover) on a cotton ball to take off the Sharpie and start over again. This was my saving grace on the second mug.
 Then I went back and filled in some of the letters to make them bolder.
Finally, place your mugs in a cold oven and turn it on to 425°F. Set a kitchen timer to 2 hours. Once the 2 hours is over, turn the oven off but leave your mugs in the oven until they're cool (this may take a few hours). This will make the marker lines set and the mug become dishwasher safe.
That's it! Enjoy your $1 mugs with your sweetheart.
Post edit: I changed the oven time from 30 minutes to 2 hours after reading plenty of other people online whose Sharpie wore off after a couple washes in the dishwasher. In mugs I've made in the past with this method, the Sharpie hasn't worn off. I'll keep you posted about these. :)

13 comments:

  1. GOING TO DO THIS FOR LIKE EVERY BLANK MUG I FIND. Mason is going to kill me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! So funny Ash. This is a great craft Whitney!! :)

      Delete
    2. Haha Ash... I can totally picture this. Totally. Can't wait to see all your new mugs in a couple weeks. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this! But your handwriting is so much prettier than mine would be :) I'll still give it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing...this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love love! Ok so Rachel Thomas had made me some mugs similar & when I washed it in the dishwasher it got ruined!!! Have you tried dishwashing them? Are they ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! I haven't dishwashed these yet, but have washed a mug I've made like this before, and it's been ok so far. I ended up changing the instructions on this to say 2 hours in the oven (instead of 30 minutes) which I've read helps. I have also read it helps if you let it dry for 24 hours before baking it. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
    2. Oh that's so good to know! Ok. It is such an adorable idea!!!!

      Delete
  5. Adorable! Your handwriting is so pretty - I feel that if I wrote on a mug I would only criticize my handwriting every time I used it. I tried this one time and the marker just wiped off. However I didn't let it sit in the oven until cool and that could be the key - did the market stay on for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT idea! SO cute and you have the best handwriting :) Thank you for sharing I will have to do this for some Valentine Days presents!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All paid applications or games which could be tutuappguide real because of it's basic as well as easy user.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Currently download and install the popcorn time application installer on your windows pc. Popcorn Time APK the motion pictures could be seen or download and install straight.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan