My go-to lunch.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I haven't always been in the habit of eating healthy lunches. But I've found that when I make the conscious effort to do so - instead of just popping a frozen pizza in the oven - my afternoon becomes immeasurably more productive. I also think I'm much more likely to make a healthy dinner if I've already eaten a healthy lunch.
For the past year, these lentil tacos have been my go-to meal on at least 2-3 days a week. I try to keep the ingredients readily available so they take less than 5 minutes to make, and they can be easily changed up from time to time. These also transport well in a packed lunch for work or a picnic.

I found every ingredient for these at Trader Joe's, where they stock delicious jalapeño hummus, the best cheddar cheese I've ever tasted (called "Unexpected Cheddar"), and pre-cooked lentils (found in the refrigerator section near the produce). These items are on my weekly grocery list because they make such an easy lunch and can obviously be used for lots of dinner ideas, too. This meal is also gluten-free and can easily be made dairy-free, too, by nixing the cheese.

Lentil Tacos
Ingredients:
Corn tortillas
Lentils - you can cook your own or buy them pre-cooked
Jalapeño hummus - I'm pretty sure this one ingredient makes all the difference in flavor for this meal
Cheese - I like "Unexpected Cheddar" from Trader Joe's
Cherry tomatoes
Ripe avocado
Green onions

How to:
1. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of lentils per taco (either in the microwave or over the stove) until steamy. Heat the tortillas until soft.
2. Slather each tortilla with a generous tablespoon of jalapeño hummus.
3. Add warm lentils, sliced avocado, green onions, cheese, and whatever other topping you choose.
4. Enjoy!

Extra points for:
+ Grilling the tortilla (!!!) before adding ingredients
+ Adding a dollop of salsa or sour cream, and chopped cilantro
+ Drizzling with sriracha sauce for extra heat
+ Squirting fresh lime juice on top
+ Drinking Lemon flavored La Croix sparkling water

4 comments:

  1. Whitney-those look so delish, and I'm gonna make them! Your tortillas look like flour ones-are they corn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look like flour but they're just white corn (gluten free) tortillas.

      Delete
  2. Love this! I need quick and healthy. Any breakfast ideas? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you MUST try A Couple Cook's recipe for lentil tacos. They are obviously a bit more work because you have to cook the lentils and the onion/garlic, but they are AMAZING, and they make so much you'll have leftovers for days. The first time I had them I couldn't believe they weren't meat. They are kind of spicy, but you can tone that down if spice isn't your thing. Super delicious with avocado. Sometimes I add black beans too. Recipe here: http://www.acouplecooks.com/2011/07/lentil-tacos/

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan