Numbers.

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Source
I've been thinking a lot about this recently: how our lives, and often our self-worth, are defined by numbers. Perhaps it's the first time in history that a person's popularity is so readily quantified.

The number of Facebook friends
The number of blog followers
The number of Instagram "likes"
Even the number of Etsy sales

These numbers are out there for anyone and everyone to see, and it's sad and embarrassing how much they can define our real lives. Do I get a little sad when I notice I've lost a few blog followers? Yes. Disappointed when I haven't had an Etsy sale that day? Yep.

The quote above - it makes me laugh. I'm not sure it's completely accurate because there are people who make a living off of their Instagram accounts (which just blows my mind). But I think it's true that we all need to calm down.

How do you define yourself?
It might be one of the most important questions of our generation.

Here's who I am, what defines me:
Beloved child of God and in desperate need of his grace.
Deeply loved by my husband, Shawn.
Devoted mother of Liam.
Loyal daughter, sister, friend.
Creative, passionate, and (sometimes) brave.

You notice what didn't make the list? Blogger. Small business owner. Facebook friend to thousands.

Beyond this life, when I'm face to face with the Lord, he isn't going to look at me and say, "Look how popular you were on earth! Way to go." I hope he'll be able to say, "Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master."

I've taken a major step back from social media recently (Facebook & Instagram) and it's been incredibly refreshing. Still, I find places in my life where these little numbers take root in my heart and need to be weeded out. Perhaps I'm not the only one?

Food for thought.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you ! I'm totally in accordance with you, I even deleted my facebook account recently ! Yes, I do :)
    I saw that it didn't raise me up. It lets place, a lot of place
    I'm impressed by your capacity to take a step back over life.
    Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good reminder! I think it's important to find a balance between the reality that certain social media platforms can be a special way to record sweet and memorable moments, and the fact that we can get way too caught up in those numbers! Since my second was born I can barely even comprehend how people balance work, play, family, social media, etc. Today is my first time reading a few blogs in I don't know how long! (Yours definitely made the list, of course. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the great thoughts! Numbers is something that I can get trapped in! But I try to remind myself, like you said, that doesn't define me. My success is in much more important things :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan