Overheard.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Liam and I spent the weekend in Ohio, celebrating my cousin's beautiful wedding. As I got dressed one morning, I listened to my grandparents chatting in the other room:

Grandpa: You know, you are one of the prettiest girls in town.
Grandma: That's not always what I see when I look in the mirror.
Grandpa: Oh, there's no doubt about it. You're one of the prettiest girls in town. And that comes from my heart.

Alzheimer's disease has stolen so much from him - even the recognition of his wife on many days - but deep down in the recesses of his mind, there's a redeeming thread of affection for his bride of over 60 years that can't be peeled away.

8 comments:

  1. what a sweet sweet thing for your grandfather to say....still in love after all this time...even his impairment can't take that from him. thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, that is so beautiful... brings tears to my eyes!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! i'm praying my hubs and i get to have moments like this in many, many years!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful picture of 2 people who have loved each other for years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love lasts if its true!! This is amazing....they are lucky to have each other...amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan