7.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

If you and I were chatting over coffee today, I'd look you straight in the eye and say, "You must read this book." 

I finished it today and I'm ready to re-read it already, it was that good.

The basic premise is that the author, Jen Hatmaker, endeavors to simplify and to strip her life of excess in one area for seven months. For example, one month she addresses clothing and only wears seven items of clothing for the entire month. During one month, she streamlines her spending to seven different locations. 

She doesn't do this for the express purpose of de-cluttering her life, though that's one advantage - but she does it to allow God to speak, to work; for Him to teach her (and her readers) a little more about the poor, about His Kingdom, about priorities.

Throughout each month, she journals through her experience. I was convicted, but didn't feel like I was dragged through a 200-page guilt trip at all. I learned that financially, I am within the top 1% of the world... so you won't hear me say "I feel so poor" ever again. Because I'm not. I'm filthy rich, and to whom much is given much is required. I was inspired to be more conscientious about stewarding the extravagant blessings God has given me. 

Oh, and I laughed. I laughed a lot.

Did I sell you? 
Trust me. 
You won't regret this read.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Whitney! This looks like something I would love to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check this book out! Thank you for the recommendation... It sounds like a great read! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds great! ill check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes! She is very funny. I haven't read this book, but I have read some of her blog. Her adoption story is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this rec! I'm going on a trip in about a month...maybe this will be my vacation read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog! So glad I found you through drygoods design. Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Whitney! I just found you from being fran{k} ! I read your post about going to Charleston next week, and just wanted to tell you that my husband and I are going next week as well! Just thought it was really cool, we seem to have similar outlook because we would love to move there too, except my husband is in med school so we don't have muchcontrol over our living situation. I am so glad I found your cute little blog :) Just followed so I can make sure to keep up with you and your trip! I still have to plan so much for the trip!

    Oh and this post is great! I saw this book on another blog and really wanted to look into it. Thanks for reminding me to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog is beautiful and you are BRAVISSIMA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sold me! Just added it to my reading list. Your blog is beautiful! I've enjoyed glancing through so many of your posts just now, can't wait to sit down and read more! Love your sewing nights! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whitney, I ordered this book for my spring break book list after we talked about it in class, and I LOVED it. I was always cracking up, prompting my poor husband to ask me what was so funny. I just had to tell you :) I saw your Charleston pics! Looks like a wonderful trip! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need not read it. I do these things because I must. It is refreshing to know someone who does it voluntarily, but I'm tired of being poor; the one who cannot go anywhere, the one who's children receive money from strangers at Wal-mart with seemingly no other cause than we look poor, the one with an education and talents but no compensation because I "look stupid", and - of course - all the other labels. People with worn shoes can be just as smart as those with new shoes, but people with new shoes must, definitely, be smarter than the other, right? Yeah. At least my intelligence affords me DIY opportunities! Many things are quite stunning, but no one wants to buy them. I really like the simple layout of your blog. It has a distinctive "touch" that is not overly bright. Simple and quality.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan