Whitney.

Monday, February 13, 2012


I love Whitney Houston.
I love The Preacher's Wife.
I love that it was Whitney's voice singing "I Believe in You and Me" at Rockefeller Center when we got engaged. (Shawn had chosen the song because it's one of my all-time favorites and as soon as I heard the intro, I cried.)
I'm so sad that she wasted away in front of a watching world.
I'm so sad that she's gone.

Whenever people ask, "Are you named after Whitney Houston?" (which is somewhat often... you other Whitney's probably know what I mean...) I say, "No. But my mom got to meet her!"

It was 1988, and my mom and her group were opening for Bebe and Cece Winans. Whitney was good friends with the Winans and loved their music, and would show up to concerts and sing backup for them. Can you even imagine?! Whitney Houston singing backup?? Often, until a few songs into the concert until she was introduced, no one even noticed her. Amazing.

So at this concert in LA, Mom was backstage with a big group of people and a little boy came up to her and started playing. A woman nearby approached her and asked, "Is he bothering you?" And they struck up a 5-minute conversation about kids. My mom was thinking, "She looks so much like Whitney Houston," but had no idea that Whitney would sometimes show up for concerts. Little did she know it WAS Whitney Houston. Pretty cool. :)

I really think Whitney is with the Lord. I think she really, really struggled (obviously). But I think her upbringing and affinity for the church, her love for Gospel music, the Christians in her life... I really believe she knows Jesus.

If you have 5 minutes, you have to watch this video. Whitney at her best... and the song. Oh, the song!

3 comments:

  1. We were so devastated to hear of Whitney's death. It is so sad to know that a woman with an absolutely incredible God-given talent is now gone, and I pray that she is with our Father in Heaven. I love her music... What a beautiful voice she had! :)

    Many Blessings,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat and special that your mom got to meet her! Love her music- listened to her cd's all the time while growing up. So very talented.

    Bennett Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her voice. There really will never be another like it. And, on the note about being named after a pop diva legend, i cannot believe I named my child adelle. I had no clue about her back then, and now the poor gal will always get asked the same thing. Well, you and I have lived through it, so I suppose she will make her way through this world too.

    This was a sweet post, Whit...about Whit.
    Love, Whit. ;)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan