The best birthday gift. Ever.

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Source
This year for my birthday, I asked Shawn for one thing: to begin the process of adopting a child.

A big part of my heart is - and always has been - for adoption. Since I was a little girl, I knew that God had clearly called me to two things: to adopt, and to be a missionary. I also knew that because those were the two callings on my life, if I was to have a husband, he would be committed to those things too. (God has quite the sense of humor, knowing all along that I would marry a man who'd already spent his entire life on the mission field.)

So I know a really common question may be: "Can you not have kids?"
And our answer is: We don't know. We haven't tried.

We do want biological kids, if that's what God has for us. But to be honest, I've never been one who has dreamed of being pregnant or can't wait to have a newborn. I wasn't even set on having my own biological kids until Shawn entered the picture. But I've definitely dreamed of bringing babies home from other countries (literally... I've had dreams about it). And I've dreamed of having a colorful family that looks a little like the United Nations. And even now, I can't talk about adoption without getting teary. It's just so precious to me, and there's no clearer picture of God's grace: He adopted us as part of His family and gave us every right and privilege that comes with being His child and heir. How incredible! If nothing else, I know that Shawn will sense a deeper love that the Father has for us through this adoption process. I know it can be a painful, trying journey, but I also know it will be so worth it.

While we had always thought of having biological kids first, God has really put on my heart recently that if adoption is Plan A for us (just as having biological kids is also Plan A, if that's possible), then why not trust Him with the timing? I think it speaks loudly to our adopted child that we chose him/her as a first choice, and not as an afterthought.

So on the evening of my birthday, I filled out a preliminary application to an international adoption agency that we are looking into working with. We know so few details right now, but I wanted to let you know this little bit of news because I am just too excited not to! This blog may look a little different in the coming months as we share bits and piece of adoption news, but knowing you like I do, I don't think you'll mind too much.

We know this is such a giant step of faith. But we also trust that it's so close to God's heart that He will surely guide us along.

24 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful birthday gift! God will play it all out in His timing. I look forward to reading about it and praying alongside you. Praying for this child's heart already, and for yours and Shawn's as God begins paving the way for this journey however long or short it will be. He is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!!! My heart is bursting for you! I think adoption is the clearest physical reflection of the Gospel, and it's so so beautiful... plus life-changing for EVERYONE involved. yay! Please keep us involved in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH thanks Amanda!!! My heart is bursting for us, too! I know it's going to take a lot of patience but goodness... I cannot wait!

      Delete
  3. So exciting! Can't wait to hear about your family's journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO happy to hear this amazing news! What a special birthday gift, and one that has started something so incredible and beautiful! You guys are in my prayers!

    Many Blessings,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement, Jenna. I love that you've walked this same road and are so supportive!

      Delete
  5. um, how was this not part of our conversation last night?! ;)
    hehe - super stoked for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo I totally meant to bring it up (especially when we were talking about Kristine and fostering) but then we changed the subject... sorry. :)

      Delete
  6. What a great post! I, too, have felt very similar. I would ABSOLUTELY love to adopt--& not because my husband & I can't have biological kids (well--at least I think we will be able to). I cannot agree more on it being a perfect step of faith & something that would be very pleasing to God. I cannot wait to read/hear more about your process.
    Love, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! I so appreciate your continual support!!

      Delete
  7. What a great birthday present! I admire your faith and thoughts on this. Love that you are obeying what God has layed on your hearts. Congrats on your first step of this journey! Can't wait to hear more updates :)

    Bennett Love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!! Many prayers for this new journey which I am on the edge of my seat for as it progresses! His light shines brightly here! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) I cannot wait for each detail to continue to unravel and be with you guys each step in prayer and love. So, so, so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!!! I have a cousin from Guatemala, 2 coming from Panama, one from Oregon, and one from Kentucky, they are such blessings. So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!! I love a colorful family! (I think God does, too). :)

      Delete
  11. WHAT?!?!? Congrats!!!!!! That is so exciting! Andrew and I also want to adopt in the future. I can't wait to hear about your journey Whit. Thank you so much for sharing it with us! What a blessing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What exciting news! We'll definitely be praying for you guys as you embark on this amazing journey. I just read "Kisses from Katie" by Katie Davis, and my heart is pulsing more now than ever for adoption. Thanks for posting about this so we can stand alongside you! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited for you! Adoption is such a beautiful thing. Praise God for willing hearts to bring His little ones into a loving home! I'll be praying that your experience is smooth and wonderful. May He bless your sweet family!

    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such great news! I'm so happy for you two!!! I truly believe it will change your life, in the best way possible. I've always wanted to adopt a baby, and I hope that one day I'll be able to do that too. I'll send a prayer for you :)

    Gratiela

    Ps: Can't wait to read more about it :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan