Charleston.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012


"Charming" doesn't even do it justice. Charleston has captivated us. From the pastel-colored houses, to the rich history, to the hospitable people, to the waterfront that's nearly always within walking distance... we adore this city.

In many ways, Charleston feels much more European than it feels American. There are no 5-lane interstates in sight, no skyscrapers, no cookie-cutter homes or massive apartment complexes that you'd find in many American cities and outlying areas. Instead, there is cobblestone. There are gas lamps lining the streets. There are skinny roads. And there is walking. That might just be our favorite part: the walking.


"Vacation" for Shawn and Whitney means as much exploring as possible, and that always involves coffee shops and restaurants. We're not much for laying by a pool reading a book. (I wish we were, sometimes.) Charleston has been the perfect mix of relaxing and invigorating.

And if we weren't enough in love with it, the restaurants have been incredibly accommodating to my gluten-free diet (gluten-free menus abound!) and when we stood in Battery Park overlooking the water as the sun set, a group of dolphins rose to the water's surface just feet from us. Incredible.

I will say, I expected it to be warmer - and it's entirely my fault. I should've looked at the weather. It's been chilly and windy, and while I love being outside, freezing wind is not my favorite (to say the least). It's still been sunny, though, and just as beautiful as can be.
We have eaten two super fancy dinners so far, the first at Slightly North of Broad and the second at Magnolia's. Both had extensive gluten-free menus and we ate like kings. So delicious.

We've also discovered two perfect coffee shops... Hope and Union and Black Tap. Highly recommend both (though I think Black Tap was our favorite).

Oh, and did I mention we're only a couple hours from our dear friend Ilene? We got to see her on our way up from Hilton Head for the first time in two and a half years. Such a sweet time. We love her.

19 comments:

  1. Welcome to Charleston. Hope yu enjoyed your visit. Your photos are beautiful. Really makes our city feel warm and welcoming. The weather is usually A LOT warmer here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I figured the weather would be better.... and today it was! So thankful. Your city is beautiful!

      Delete
  2. This post almost makes me miss living in the South. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lived in the south my whole life and never been to Charleston. This absolutely convinces me we need to go... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So yea.

    Yea I think it's pretty much perfect.

    I want to go so bad!

    Your pictures are goooooorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty much perfect. :) You have to come!

      Delete
  5. Neal and I keep hearing about how Charleston is vacation-must! Your photos have convinced me now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS! It feels like you've gone to Europe and you haven't even left America. And it might make you want to move here. :)

      Delete
  6. All these photos made me really want to visit Charleston! It looks gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. CHARMING!!! You're making me want to go there some day. Maybe I'll get to! :) Europe is great (beautiful, for sure!), but there's a friendliness in the States that is unbeatable. That's what i love when we travel in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't go to Charleston much and I am about an hour away. I may plan a trip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Charleston! Some dear friends of mine moved down there a few years ago to start a church so I've been over to visit a few times--and you've got it right--it truly is captivating and charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband & I are the same way on vacations - we love exploring! I completely agree with you that sometimes I wish we did a little more reading by the pool, but I've never regretted anything we saw! I'm glad you're having a wonderful vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how beautiful! I love how quaint and European it looks. Now I really want to visit! :)
    I am glad to see that y'all are having a great time...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you loved our little city. Black Tap coffee is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. aw, this post made me so happy! i also loved the pics of charleston! love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We discovered some issues on the official internet site of Snapchat. https://www.snapchatloginonlinee.com For Free: PC & Mac for celebs to major globe brand names.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan