Christmas favorites.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Source
Smell: Caramel apple spice. Pine in my living room. Burning leaves. This year, I'm not sure I'll be able to top the smell of my baby's head on Christmas morning.

Tradition: Giving and receiving Christmas cards. I love opening the mailbox this time of year! I hope that with all of our advances in technology and social media, real mail at Christmas won't become obsolete anytime soon.

Movie: Les Misérables! While not exactly a Christmas movie, it's coming to theaters on Christmas day and my family will be there at the noon showing. :)

Hymn: O Holy Night
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
'Til He appeared and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn!

Memory: One thing I miss about living outside of my hometown, the hustle and bustle at the airport was so exciting. I saw people from all walks of life headed to their family homes for Christmas, and it felt like we all had one common goal. This year, we will wake up and travel about 15 minutes to my parents' house - but I actually miss the holiday travel. Am I nuts?

Gift: Anything baked: spiced pecans, cranberry apple muffins, white chocolate covered pretzels.

Sight: Downtown Franklin at Christmas. The lit up shops and the huge NOEL sign on top of the Starbucks is incredibly charming.

Dislikes: Mall traffic. Elf on a shelf.

Ok, your turn. Some of your Christmas favorites? 


Last year's Christmas favorites here.

15 comments:

  1. Christmas is such a beautiful time of the year. I love spending the entire day with family, seeing faces light up while opening gifts, the delicious food, and most of all, celebrating our Savior's birth!
    May your Christmas be blessed, Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The preparing of our Christmas feast and the smell.
    The lights of our tree in the dark.
    The joy in the air as everyone is shopping.
    Putting out of the "Santa cookies & milk" on Christmas Eve.
    The sleepy, excited but amazed faces of my kids...as they believe that "Santa" has brought them all the things they asked for this year.
    And most of all the pleasure of our family, together going out to the church and giving to those who are in need this holiday season...It Truely is a Blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stand Elf on a Shelf! Not only am I not at all interested in jumping on that bandwagon, I'm also not sold on "doing Santa" with our boy. They're all such huge distractions. I could write an entire blog post about how I feel about this... and I did... but I felt like it would be more divisive than encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I feel, too. "Distraction" is the key word to me.

      Delete
  4. Dislikes: the stresses of perfectionism. Friends arguing about gun rights (this year, at least). A few of my favorite things: White lights. Penuche from my mother-in-law. Indigo-shadowed white mountains. Doctor Who. Quiet time sketching in my art journal. Advent readings wih my boys. Caramel Brulee lates, hot chocolate, and chai. "Fear not." Tentative toddler steps. Opening the mailbox. Brown paper and shiny curly ribbon

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I'm not the only one who dislikes "Elf on a Shelf." I think it's a fun idea, but it's so misused! I'm a nanny, and my boss is constantly telling her kids to be good because "Chippy" will tell Santa and they won't get presents. I'd much rather teach them The Golden Rule, and to love one another because Christ loved us. Bribery backfires and now they expect a reward for every good choice. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad I'm not the only one who despises this Elf on the Shelf thing. When I was younger, I behaved because JESUS was watching me . . . :)
    & I suppose I do now too. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Holy Night brings tears everytime.
    Love the glow of Christmas.
    I miss traveling too. We only drove an hour but I miss loading up the presents and the dogs and driving thinking everyone else on the road was just as excited to spend the day with grandma and grandpa as I was.
    This year I am not feeling Christmas. I've been so busy, we had a death in the family ,work has been hectic, my mom and my sweet dog both had surgery and I am still thinking it should be September. Hoping to grab a little Christmas spirit in the next few days.
    I need children. That would help tremendously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So looking forward to seeing that Noel sign this year. Typically when we're in town, there's a random "Eric!" yelled out from a car as we see you waving as you drive by. :D Merry Christmas! Excited for our boys (my littlest) to have their first Christmases!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I forgot about that! :) Hope you guys enjoy being in town!!!

      Delete
  9. Favorite song, "O Holy Night" Truly a worship experience for my heart and soul, and one of the most beautiful songs ever.
    Definitely going to see Les Mis, my entire family has bought our tickets in advance!
    Cutting down fresh Christmas tree - ours is 3.5 weeks old and still fresh as a daisy.
    Stockings - looking forward to when my son is old enough to appreciate and look forward to them. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan