Processing.

Monday, April 18, 2011

I feel like I've recently reached an age (mid-twenties) that the world is expecting you to have some things figured out.

Like who are you going to marry? (Got that one.)
Where do you want to live? (Changes all the time.)
What do you want to do? (Still working on that one, too.)

Clearly, I haven't gotten much figured out in the world's eyes.
Yes, I want to be a nurse. I guess that one was obvious. :) I'd love to work in an urban setting - most certainly a passion of mine - or overseas, once I get a little experience. But past that, everything else just feels so fluid.

For the longest time, our plan has been that as soon as I'm done with nursing school, we'll move somewhere for Shawn to go to seminary. But now even that is in question. Shawn still wants to go to seminary - and I want him to - but we don't know if the timing is right, and some people we really trust have recommended waiting until he has some more life experience, as seminary will mean much more. I definitely see their point.

My parents have always taught me to "dream in color." I love that. They modeled it for us, and Shawn's parents did too. We both grew up traveling a lot, so I think we both feel this inherent itch to try something new. Live in a new place. Explore a new season together.

Essentially, we've got the next three semesters here in Nashville until I finish school, then who knows where we'll go? For us, it's the most exhilarating feeling in the world. Not remotely scary, just exciting! We are children of an adventurous God who takes us places we'd never imagined, and we pray we'll always be brave enough to say "Yes" to His invitation.

So the next time someone asks me what we'll be doing in a couple years from now, I'll just have to shrug my shoulders and say, "I really have no idea. But God does. And I can't wait to see what He has planned."

5 comments:

  1. "He will do immeasurably more than we think or imagine" Eph 3:20

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is obviously no right answer as far as the timing of seminary and we struggled with that decision a lot as lots of people gave us their different opinions...we finally opted to do seminary right after undergrad and are SO happy we did...my husband had a couple job offers right after seminary and we are enjoying lots of family time with a baby without him studying all of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Honestly, sometimes I feel the same way. But it is so nice to be reminded that God is in control and I don't have to be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to all your thoughts, my husband and I are struggling with similar questions. I say.... move to Wheation and have Shaun go to seminary there! That way you'd be back close to Chicago and who knows, maybe we'd be there too and we'd be moody alum friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan