I belong.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011



This song has so encouraged me this summer.
It's taken straight from one of my favorite passages in Romans:

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Romans 8:38-39

Since moving to Tennessee, it just so happens that I'm around very few Christians from day to day. I would've thought otherwise, moving from downtown Chicago where it would seem there are fewer believers. But "cultural Christianity" is very prevalent here. If you haven't been here and don't know what I mean, lots and lots of people here go to church because it's the "right thing to do" but as soon as they step out of those sanctuary doors on Sunday, they go on with their normal life and live in ways that the church would outright condemn.

I'm not saying that I don't do the same thing - I am a sinner, saved by grace, and I know that I say and do things that break God's heart all the time. He is so loving to correct me and to bring me back over and over again.

But when "being a Christian" here means nothing more than going to church because that's what you're supposed to do, that's what I'm talking about. So all that to say, I often feel like I stick out like a sore thumb for being committed to Christ - for talking about Him, for reading my Bible, for not participating in certain things that a lot of people around me do. You wouldn't think so here in the "buckle of the Bible belt" as Nashville has been called, but it's true. At least in my world. (Can other Bible belt people relate?)

But here's the thing: I am called to walk the narrow road. I am called to be light in a dark world. My eyes have been opened more and more to the true darkness that permeates the world. It is thick and black and ugly. So instead of being discouraged about its pervasiveness, I am called to walk boldly into the darkness, bearing the light of Christ.

This truth has become so foundational for me: nothing can separate us from Christ's love. Not discouragement, filth, hate - nothing. Not even my own sin.

I wish I could remember that more often than I do. I would be much more joyful, less weighed down, knowing that no matter what, I am covered in Christ's love and am being sanctified through the trials I am facing here.

He is with me.
He is for me.
He loves me.
I revel in that truth.

8 comments:

  1. I'm here in Nashville too, and sometimes it does feel like that. I think it's almost harder sometimes because others around you are claiming to believe the same way (but don't act differently). And then there are others who are wonderful people but do not know God. I used to think that my witness was mostly in living differently, but lately I've been feeling more convicted about speaking up too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this today..I needed it. And it brought much peace to my soul. Sending you comfort and love during those dark moments. ><>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live near what most would consider the "Bible belt," and the cultural Christianity you mentioned in this post is definitely a present force. It makes it so hard to live like Christ; I often find myself scratching my head, wondering where the believers are who will love and challenge me in my daily walk (luckily, I have a husband who fits the bill). I hope this doesn't come across as prideful -- it's hard to express in a brief comment -- but I feel like we're all meant for more than just status quo Christianity, and I want to find people who feel and act the same way. Anyway, just know that you're not alone, and that this post was a blessing to read today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone! But I know how you feel. I was so happy when I found your blog. To find someone blogging about Christ meant so much to me. I often feel like no one is really committed to Christ and my family and I are on the road alone. But we are not. So know there is someone right along side you in Windsor, CO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, friends, for the encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful song and a wonderful promise! We are forever bound up in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you. i needed this post today. seriously! He is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw friend! I'm just now reading this- and this passage has been on my heart all day! (Even just blogged it). So sweet. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan