My very colorful lunch.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

IMG_0316
Today for lunch, I wanted to recreate one of my very favorite meals: the famous veggie bowl from Joe's Naturals. (I'm not really sure how famous it is, but it's famous to me! I think about it all the time.)

I got most of these ingredients from Trader Joe's, and they're easy to find during the summer.
Even better would be getting them from a local farmer's market.
And even better would be growing them on your own.
But with our garden, we only have jalapeño, squash, zucchini, and basil that's ready to pick so it didn't quite work out this time.

Anyway, it's super easy to put together and so colorful! (And it's gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.)
I started by cooking about a cup of quinoa, and chopped my vegetables for the 15 minutes or so that the quinoa needed to cook.
I chopped up sugar snap peas.
IMG_0311
Then chopped some tiny tomatoes into halves and quarters.
IMG_0312
Then chopped some yellow bell pepper.
IMG_0313
And finally, added some shredded carrots.
IMG_0315
I also made a quick balsamic vinaigrette by simply blending olive oil and balsamic vinegar:
IMG_0320
IMG_0321
Once the quinoa fluffed up, I added a scoop of it to the plate, then tossed the veggies on top. On top of that, I added a dollop of roasted pine nut hummus that I had, some chopped avocado, and finally a drizzle of the balsamic vinaigrette.
IMG_0322
So healthy and so delicious (I even made another plate for dinner)! :) I hope you try it!

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I will have to try this very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I think I'll have to try this too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great and DELICIOUS-looking idea! i especially love quinoa :]

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan