I felt just like a nurse today.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

And just like a patient... at the same time. 
+
This morning while I was in the kitchen, I bent down to grab something and stood up really fast, right into the corner of an open cabinet. I hit my head so hard that my the top of my head started bleeding and the pain immediately made me nauseous. I was seeing stars when I crawled over to the freezer and grabbed some ice to put on top of my throbbing head.

And as I sat there, I transformed from being a patient to being a nurse.

I thought to myself,
"What's your name?"
"When is your date of birth?"
"What day is it today?"
"Who is the President of the United States?"
"Ok, now count backwards from 100 by 7s."

I made sure my strength was equal in both hands and both feet, and then I grabbed my penlight and crawled into the bathroom to check my pupil dilation and reflexes in the mirror. Aaaand I determined that I would be just fine (and laughed a little at the thought of crawling to the bathroom with ice on my head).

I'm sure I was overreacting, but when you spend day in and day out seeing the worst possible scenario of things, you can't help but be cautious (i.e. a patient I saw this week had gone septic and almost died after eating a cupcake that had E. coli... crazy, right?).

And hey, it's pretty handy information to know! I now understand why people say, "Once a nurse, always a nurse."

10 comments:

  1. Hope your head feels better! Impressed at how well you handled it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. count backwards by 7- people can do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is funny!... Couldn't help but laughing... I'm glad you're ok, though! But really, if somebody would ask me to count backwards from 100 by 7s, I'm not sure I can do it now, and I'm just fine... :)

    There is a giveaway on my blog, if you want to enter, check it out
    http://scribblesfromjourney.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-to-be-thankful-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Whitney! :) Ouch! But this did make me giggle - they teach us all those things over here in Australia too. I bet you would have had a headache for a little while! I totally agree that nurses can't help but be cautious when they are around injuries outside the hospital - 'better to be safe then sorry' is something that's said in my house a lot :P

    Glad you're ok :) and super job on putting some of your nursing skills into practice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me laugh but I'm really glad you are okay though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OUCH! I'm so glad you're ok. And that you're a nurse! Holy cow- I would've just sat there crying! And then I probably would've called you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Backwards from 100 by 7s?!? I might need to go to the hospital right now if not being able to do that is a sign of a head injury! :P And I love the red cross picture. Reminds me of the servant-hearts that nurses have. Thanks for your service, Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ouuuuch! That really must have hurt. I love that you snapped right into action, though!

    My husband, who used to be a lifeguard, did the same thing a few weeks ago when he hit his head on a ceiling fan. I'm not as good in emergency situations. As soon as he told me that if he started acting sleepy that I needed to take him to the hospital, I sank to the floor in a pregnant, melty mess of tears and hormones. Lol!

    I'm glad that there are people like you and Jesse who can take care of yourselves when need be!

    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me
    www.letterstoourlittleone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan