DIY: Reusable gift tags

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Is it already time to be thinking about Christmas?!
In our house it is... I've got the Justin Bieber Christmas album blaring at the moment (Shawn's gone so it's ok, right?). And I've been trying to do some Christmas shopping here and there so that December isn't quite so overwhelming.

I LOVE do-it-yourself projects for Christmas presents, but the problem with blogging about them all is that my family and friends read this blog - so it would spoil what I'm making for them. So because they already know that they're getting something for Christmas - and because the gifts need tags - it doesn't ruin any surprises. :)

You'll need: 
- Oven-hardening clay (I found mine at Joann for about a dollar)
- Acrylic craft paint in dark brown
- A small paintbrush
- A rolling pin
- Rubber letter stamps
- A plastic straw
1. Break up the clay into smaller pieces. It's easier to roll out this way.
2. Roll each piece into a thinner layer using a rolling pin. Mine was approximately 1/4 inch thick (maybe less), but it's up to you how thick or thin to make it.
3. Use the rubber stamps to stamp in what you'd like to write on your tag.
4. Use a knife (or pizza cutter, in my case) to cut a rectangle around the name. It's easiest if you leave a little room on the left side for where the hole will go.

5. Press the straw into the left side of the tag.
6. Pull out the straw to make a perfect hole for where your string or ribbon will be attached.
7. Put all your tags on a baking sheet and bake according to package directions. Mine needed 30 minutes at 230 degrees. 
8. After 30 minutes, pull them out of the oven to let them cool. The great thing about this kind of clay is that even when it's baked, it's still somewhat pliable and won't easily break. Let the tags cool completely.

9. Using the small paintbrush and acrylic paint, paint the letters. You don't have to be perfect with this at all, just make sure you get down into the crevasses.
10. Using a slightly damp paper towel, wipe across the top of the letters while the paint is still wet in order to leave a little paint in the letters. Let dry and you're finished!

You could also use a small, round cookie cutter and make ornaments! I'll keep this one (below) on a gift, and they can use it as a Christmas ornament for next year. 

11 comments:

  1. I love this project! Quick and easy and turns out super cute. And I have been secretly listening to the Justin Bieber Christmas album too.. so glad "Pray" made it on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa those are sooo cool! totally trying that, whit!

    so ashley bought the bieber's christmas album and i have to admit that i've been playing it on repeat recently. it's surprisingly good, right?! i also love michael buble's and she + him if you haven't bought those yet!

    love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CUTE! Love these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty! I love the simple elegance.

    And your gift/tutorial problem made me laugh. I run into the same thing!

    ♥ Bethany

    www.happyhomemaker.me
    www.letterstoourlttleone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I am having my first giveaway ever!... :) Wanna join it? http://scribblesfromjourney.blogspot.com/2011/11/giveaway-to-be-thankful-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, friends!!! They were super easy to make and look a lot more expensive and time-consuming than they were (my favorite kind of DIY). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!I'm one of your newest followers! I actually found your blog through a friend of mine, Bethany K. She sent me the link and I immediately fell in love!

    I love these gift tags and am totally making them for Christmas! Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these gift tags & they were just as easy as you said they would be. Now, getting the letters to line up & not be crooked... that's the tough part. It's whimisical, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. Thanks for the idea, I really do love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank You for the post, I was looking for the post for a long time.do it yourself home

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan