Learning curve.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011


I'm (almost) officially 3/4ths of the way finished with nursing school. I was thinking about it today and thought, "I have really learned so much this year."I've learned so much more than how to start an IV or how to assess lung sounds or explain the side effects of a medication.

I've learned that parents of special needs children are angels. I don't understand how they do what they do every. single. day. I'm exhausted caring for their child for just 8 hours (bathing, feeding, helping to the bathroom, etc.). Their love and sacrifice for their child just astounds me. Maybe when I'm a mom someday I'll understand it a little more.

I've learned that sometimes I need little rewards to get me through a tough week. My favorite way to spend a Friday afternoon is sitting in my car, listening to NPR, and chowing down some Chipotle. Luxurious.

I've learned that there are so many ways to procrastinate. Like cleaning your whole house. Then taking pictures cleaning the baseboards. Then posting a blog about it.

I've learned that washing your hands really works. I wash or gel my hands at least every 10 minutes in the hospital it seems, and shower as soon as I get home, and I have not gotten sick one time since being in nursing school. Eating healthy and getting sleep helps, too. But I'm serious... wash your hands! All the time!

I've learned that I can't always wear my heart on my sleeve. Some people's situations that I've encountered make me so sad, and I somehow have to remove myself from their lives just enough to care for them without wallowing with them in their pain. It's a difficult balance and I don't have it down yet. At some point I just need to pray for them, ask Jesus to comfort them, and do the best I can.

I've learned that I have some pretty amazing friends and family to stick with me through my terrible communication skills at present... they don't always get calls or texts or time, but they still love me. Thanks, guys.

I've learned that Shawn is even more patient than I thought. He'll sit for hours quizzing me on notes that make absolutely no sense to him. And he forgives me when I tell him a really graphic story right before dinner time that makes just about everything unappetizing. Crazy love... that's what he has for me. (That's what I have for him, too.)

I've learned that nursing is so far beyond a job. It's a ministry and a calling and it's one of the best decisions I ever made.



3 comments:

  1. i love that you wear a little of your heart on your sleeve right here! you'll be a fantastic nurse as His love pours out! yay for clean baseboards and hands and sweet husbands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU, were meant for this. Your patience, grace, and joy in this whole process is amazing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us who have no idea what nursing school and life is like! It's so cool to see it from the inside like you write about it. Thank you for serving like Jesus, Whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, friends, for the sweet encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan