My job.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ha! If only we all looked like Kate every day. :)
I am loving my job so far. I'm still technically in orientation for a few more weeks, taking more patients each shift, and I'm learning so much that it feels like I'm still in school. At the end of a 12-hour shift (which is usually closer to 13 hours), I'm pretty wiped out. I don't think it actually makes a huge difference that I'm pregnant. Pregnant or not, it's an incredibly tiring job.

If you're like me and have never been a patient in a hospital or had much exposure to hospitals, it may come as a surprise to you what nurses actually do. Take yesterday for example. While it involved the stereotypical giving shots, changing IV bags, checking on patients, reading up on their plans of care, calling doctors, etc. it also involved a whole lot more. Like cutting a patient's burger patty into bite size pieces. And emptying out the bedside commode for the umpteenth time. And untwisting sheets. And a whoooole list of other very non-glamorous things that I'd rather not write about. They involve bodily fluids, which I'm pretty sure I'll never get "used to" as so many nurses claim they do.

But then there were the beautiful moments peppered throughout the day that remind me I'm supposed to be there. They remind me that this is about so much more than what feels like a laundry list of menial tasks. It's about being a light to people in some of their darkest, most hopeless, most vulnerable times. I had the privilege yesterday of praying with a patient before his first ever surgery, with his family all in another state. And holding a patient's hand as she told me about her great-grandbabies and patted my belly, hoping to feel the baby move. And even getting a few thank you's from patients.

So even on the hardest days - and there will be lots, I'm sure - I'm so thankful for where I am... on a medical floor, at a sweet community hospital where everyone knows everyone and really seems to care about each other. I know God has me here for a reason for this season, and in the hardest days, that's really all I need to know.

11 comments:

  1. So sweet! I love reading your posts and hearing how grateful you are for the wonderful (and even not-so-wonderful) things in your life. It really puts my like in perspective for me, and I am incredibly thankful that I get to read your blog so often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has been a hospital patient a couple of times and my dad spent a lot of time in the hospital......those little things nurses do make a WORLD of difference to patients and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whitney, I'm so glad that things are going well at work. We found out this week that my husband got a job around Franklin so we are moving there! Good to know if I'm ever at the hospital that you might be my nurse! http://www.moment4milk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelli, That is the BEST news!!! Congratulations!!! Let me know when you guys are close to moving... we'd love to get together sometime. :)

      Delete
    2. You bet! But I'm warning you...when you meet the Elliott girls you might want to push up your adoption process. haha Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it's just so hard to see the blessings, I'm glad we have our God to remind us :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. im glad youre loving it. I would be thrilled if I ended up in the hospital and had a nurse as sweet and kind as you! My aunt is the charge nurse in the E.R in the hospital here and I get to hear some wild stories from her :) I know youre a blessing to all of your patients!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed every bit, have bookmarked the site!Job Descriptions

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome! I can see that God knew what He was doing and placed you exactly where He knew you would be most effective for Him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a high risk OB patient with my first baby and spent 5 weeks in the hospital. I DO know some of those tasks that nurses perform every day and there is nothing glamorous about it!! BUT OH SO APPRECIATED. Thinking back...my nurses washed my hair, adjusted my sheets, changed bedding...yup, I had a bedside toilet also...but one of the best things was having my nurse stop to chat with me. I missed my nurses when I was released...and after our son was born, I went back to visit them. After all, they were a huge part of the reason why I was able to NOT deliver our son at 31 weeks...but was able to make it to 37 weeks and delivered a healthy little boy. Keep up the good work Whitney!! But be careful: I have been told by my doctors that teachers (I was teaching full time when I went into labor at 31 weeks) and nurses tend to go into labor early!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the preferred area of the Voot makes life much easier. Voot APK you want right away.If you have some favorite TV shows after that.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan