Gluten free veggie burgers.

Monday, July 2, 2012

These were such a hit in our house this past weekend. I love veggie burgers, but because I have to eat gluten free, it's often difficult to find them without wheat flour, barley or oats. So I adapted a couple recipes I had and I think you will love these! They also freeze really well, so I made 8 of them that we'll have for future meals.

Ingredients: 
3/4 cup brown rice, cooked
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 slice gluten free sandwich bread, crumbled*
1/3 cup corn (I used frozen)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons oil for cooking
*I used a food processor to crumble the bread into fine bread crumbs

Instructions:
Mash beans in a large bowl until a paste forms. Add rice, bread crumbs, corn, cilantro, egg, salt, pepper, and oregano. Form mixture into 6 to 8 patties. Heat oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Cook patties until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.

We served ours on Udi's Gluten Free Whole Grain Hamburger Buns with garlic mustard aioli and roasted red pepper hummus (both from Trader Joe's) and spinach. We also had chipotle flavored fries from the freezer section and fresh cherries. The perfect summer meal!


7 comments:

  1. Oh, this recipe sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing, Whitney... We'll have to give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I L*VE them too...just send me one over :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! Curious question are you also dairy/casein free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not entirely (though I wish I could say we were!)... We try to avoid cheese and milk completely, but still use butter and eat yogurt from time to time.

      Delete
  4. i love veggie burgers! one day when i actually cook i will make these hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I'm excited to try them. Any tips on finding GF bread/buns in Chicago? Trader Joe's has let me down on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dannon, I had to find them at Whole Foods... Udi's Whole Grain is the best (expensive, of course, but SO GOOD!)

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan