Sweetest moment.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I realize how blessed I am the moment I hear my husband tell my one week old son, 
"It's time to read the Word of God."
 Have you heard of the Jesus Storybook Bible? It was given to us as a baby gift, but is just as powerful to us as adults. The author, Sally Lloyd-Jones (who just so happens to be a member of Tim Keller's church in Manhattan), has an exquisite way of telling the stories of the Bible and always relating them back to the Gospel. 

"The Bible is of course an adult book, so in order to make it accessible to children, by its very nature, as you retell it; you're going to have to reduce it down. Unfortunately, the danger is that you reduce is down into moral lessons. The entire Bible is hammered down into one long lesson on obedience. Almost like a Bible Aesop's Fables. Each story becomes a lesson so you can fix your behavior and become a better person. Children are then likely to be left with the impression that they must be good for God to love them. Disastrous and inaccurate. It's as if Jesus never came. So I wanted to write a children's Bible storybook that first and foremost told the Great Story of the Bible - the story running under all the stories of the Bible like a golden stream - the story of how God loves his children and comes to rescue them. The Story that at the center has a baby, the child upon whom everything would depend - Jesus, the only, real true Hero of the Bible. I wanted a Bible Storybook that was, like the Bible is, not all about us and what we should be doing - but about God, and what he has done."
If you're looking for a perfect baby gift, we can't recommend it highly enough.

17 comments:

  1. Oh, we love the Jesus Storybook Bible! It is wonderfully written, and such a great book for anyone and everyone to read.
    How precious it is to see your little one hearing the Word of God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet indeed.

    Thanks for the info on the book. I was looking for a Christmas present for the charming kids our daughters used to nanny.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just got that and started to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have that Bible too and I love reading it to my girls. I think I have cried over each and every story. Truly powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best! I read through it everyday with E!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you love it as much as Jay and I do and our three sons! Love and Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, we love it so much and have gotten several more copies for friends! Thank you!!! And the Michael O'Brien CD played during labor and is playing here nonstop. Such wonderful gifts... Thank you again!

      Delete
  7. Our church gives that bible to every couple that dedicates their baby. Such an amazing bible. I may just have a baby, so that I get it too... Or maybe just buy the bible, that may be cheaper, but less fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this - I will add that to our list of baby things to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We *LOVE* this book...we also just bought her new devotional, "Thoughts to make your heart sing" and my husband and I love that one as well. Like you said, it ministers to kids and adults alike:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It brings me to tears everytime I see a Child- so loved- that His Parents are bringing Him up in Christ.
    You will be blessed!
    Eat Cake

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is such a good Bible, my husband and I read it to each other before bed sometimes. It can be so helpful to read all the famous stories of the Bible and see how Jesus fits into them! I also gave this to the kids I used to nanny and they within a month had read it once through and were begging their mom to read it again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a special moment. I am excited about this Bible! I may have to place an order for our little one on the way. As usual, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. we love the jesus storybook bible! great gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so precious! I can't wait to have special moments like that with my future children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding this to my "baby list" of which your suggestions make up most of it. So thankful for you. You have no idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recommendation! I just sent this Bible to a friend who just had a baby boy. I think it'll be a staple baby present.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan