DIY Idea: Dress Up Fox.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

This is one of those ideas that I happened to find on Pinterest, and I couldn't rest until I'd made one myself. It's true. I'm compulsive when it comes to crafting. This felt dress up fox is originally from Sierra's beautiful blog, and I think it might be one of the most darling ideas I've ever seen.

If you're like me, you have about a hundred special little girls in your life who would adore this. The younger ones might not appreciate it quite yet, but I have a feeling it would be a treasured piece that they could grow into. I mean... I like it so much I'm tempted to make one for Liam. (Shawn says no.)

Looking at Sierra's original photos, I freehanded the fox, cut it out of felt, sewed the tiny eyes and nose with needle and thread, and then sewed the entire thing onto a linen-like fabric with my sewing machine. The top left image is of Miss Fox in her underwear... that's how she starts out each time. The clothes can all be mixed and matched, then stored in the pocket underneath her. I cut the clothes out of fabric scraps I already had, and I sewed them onto felt backing. That way, when they're placed on the fox - even if she's upright - they stay on. I also made one headband, and if I'd had more time, I could've made shoes, hats, and bags to carry. I'd also love to make a bear, a deer, and maybe even a girl. The possibilities! The entire thing is wrapped and glued to a 10" x 20" canvas. Next time I'd be sure to create one in a more standard size, probably 11" x 14" so that I could fit it into a standard frame.

And with that, I feel like I've spoiled my future birthday and Christmas gifts for lots of little girls in my life. I plan on making several more. Too adorable (and fun) not to!

17 comments:

  1. Adorable fox... and what an idea to make adress up doll :) your turned out even cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet! But how is the close jammed to the fox?

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should make one for Liam! Make it Mister Fox, or Bear, or whatever! It's a grea way to teach him body parts and name of clothes and where they belong: hat on the head, shoes on the feet, etc. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! If only my daughter was still young enough to play with it. I'll have to find a little girl to make one for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! And so pretty that I feel like this could be enjoyed by the right little girl for years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww! this is so incredibly adorable! the lace and the felt.. everything is so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All children can enjoy dress up! It's a great learning activity. This project is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be perfect for an airplane trip.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should definitely make one for Liam! Instead of bow in the hair, it could be a bowtie, and you could make boy clothes to go with Mr. Fox. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How perfect is this?! I'm definitely pinning it and filing it away for future little ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is there any chance you will be making these and adding them to your Etsy store? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe someday!!! If I had more hours in the day, I totally would. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you don't let things stop you – you just go for it and create something so wonderfully beautiful. Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan