Reading.

Monday, July 1, 2013

Source

I love to read. And even so, it's easy to make the excuse that I just don't have the time for it.

But you know when you were a kid and you'd tell your mom you were hungry and ask for candy, and she'd say "If you were really hungry, you'd eat this piece of fruit"? I feel like that with reading. If I really don't have time, then I also don't have time to skim Facebook or a thousand blogs. So I'm pretty sure I just don't make time nearly enough.

Sometimes it takes one good book to set you on a trail of reading a lot more. For me, recently, that book was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I may have already mentioned it here, but Louis Zamperini's story is incredible and I couldn't get enough. Even after reading 500 pages, I was sad when the story ended.

Another fantastic book I just finished was Bread & Wine: A Love Letter to Life Around the Table with Recipes by Shauna Niequist. I devoured it in less than a week, fitting it in during nursing sessions and late at night. I hadn't read anything of Shauna's before, and I think this was the perfect book to start with. It's a love letter to food and the dinner table, and her appreciation for good food and hospitality is inspiring. There are recipes at the end of every couple chapters, and we've tried at least 7 or 8 of them just in the last week. They've all been hits! Bacon-wrapped dates, magical white bean soup, chicken enchiladas, blueberry crisp... I could go on. Her words and her recipes are equally delicious.

So to celebrate reading, I've added a new tab up in the top right corner: reading. I've compiled a list of some of my all-time favorite books, ones that I'd happily read over and over again. It's definitely a list in progress - I'll be adding to it over time - but if you'd like to add to the list, feel free to comment under the list of books. I'd love to hear what you're reading and loving.

8 comments:

  1. What a fantastic idea!! I read Seven because of you and it was so inspiring. Can't wait to dive into your list! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great addition! I've added your recommendations to my Goodreads list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I just planned a trip to the library tomorrow. Thanks for inspiring! Usually itis just the fact that I don't have any new books around that makes that I don't read. It only takes one good first chapter and I'm gone.. then every other task in the house seems not important anymore ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been thinking that I should be making more time for reading myself. In school I hated reading! (Maybe because it was for homework and not for leisure?) But now as an adult, I love getting lost in the pages, and I'm sad when books end too. I think add the extra tab is a great idea :) Going to check it out now!

    stephiescorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep a similar list of kids/adult books we've read and want to read which comes in handy when at book sales/garage sales/thrifting. And I'm right in the midst of "Bread and Wine"...SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finished "Bread and Wine" also. LOVE!!! I'm pretty much on a huge "Crisp" kick since her I made her first recipe...we've eaten blueberry crisp, peach, apple...

    (In)courage is using "Bread and Wine" as their book club selection this summer. Fun to see Shauna talking about the book in casual conversation. http://www.incourage.me/channel/bloom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your "reading" tab is a great idea. Do you usually buy your books or can you find most of them at the library? I love to read but don't like the idea of having to purchase everything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read Bread & Wine on our 10th anniversary trip thanks to my sweet friend bringing it with from the US. I really liked her perspective on feeding friends with allergies and viewing it as an act of service. And I love her perspective on community by that comes through in all her books. I highly recommend Bittersweet too. Didn't love Cold Tangerines as much, probably b/c it's written pre-miscarriages and not as raw.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan