Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Friday, October 8, 2010

IMG_2437
This little culinary adventure started with a dairy intolerance (which means no pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks!) but ended in the best pumpkin spice latte I've ever had. Shawn agrees. :) And aside from the taste, the best part is that you probably already have the ingredients!

Pumpkin Spice Syrup:
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

First, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add the sugar until it dissolves, then turn the heat down so it simmers. Next, add all spices and stir or whisk them into the sugary water mixture. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes, then take it off the heat and let it cool. Once cool, strain through a few layers of cheesecloth. Not all the spices will get through, and it'll be a smoother liquid you're left with. You can then transfer the syrup to a jar and keep it in the fridge when you need it.

For the latte, make about half a cup of strong coffee or espresso. We use a french press, which we love, but you could definitely use a coffee maker instead.

IMG_2422
IMG_2428

Pour the hot coffee into a mug and fill halfway.
IMG_2436
Add 2 tablespoons of syrup (or more), stir, then fill the rest of the cup with steamed milk. We use almond milk, and after heating it, we use a french press again to froth it a little. This isn't necessary, just makes it more coffee shop-like.

IMG_2429

Sprinkle with a little cinnamon or nutmeg and enjoy!

IMG_2450-2

9 comments:

  1. Whittie oh my word!!!!! I cannot wait to come see you next month and try one of these!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing...I have to try it! I just picked up some Pumpkin Pie Spice creamer the other day, and it makes me feel so cozy & Fall-ish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yummm! genius! thank you whitney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl, you know that i wish i could come over to TN right now and try one of these. mmmm!

    p.s. i started drinking almond milk - are you proud? ;) its surprisingly good. i guess i didn't expect it to be so sweet. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop right now...you are way to amazing. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this tonight for Tad and I, love it!! So good, and so comparable to a coffee shop drink, and Tad was ecstatic that I didn't even have to purchase any ingredients!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this last year when you posted about it & loved it -- but now I'm in England where there is Starbucks but they don't serve Pumpkin Spice Lattes! So I'm making it again as we speak & can't wait to have my first PS latte of the season tomorrow morning. :) Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So....I found this recipe, and I was so excited!!! We (my mom and I) made the syrup yesterday and tried it for the first time in coffee today, and we were floored!!! It tasted so real and warm. Thank you for an awesome recipe! It's a keeper, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you guys like this!! It's one of my favorites too. :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan