Japan.

Monday, March 14, 2011

No doubt the news from Japan has been swirling around your mind and heart as it has mine. It's unavoidable if you've turned on the TV or watched the news online for days. And even as we've all been inundated with the horrific images and video, it's still hard to completely wrap my mind around the utter devastation.

Last night as Shawn and I were about to head to bed, he asked me which Psalm I wanted him to read. And for no other reason except that it's what popped in my head that moment, I said, "Psalm 93." Not because I had read it recently, or because I thought it'd be appropriate for that moment. Simply because I now believe the Holy Spirit guided my mind to request it.

Psalm 93
The Lord reigns, he is robed in majesty; 
the Lord is robed in majesty and armed with strength;
indeed, the world is established, firm and secure.
Your throne was established long ago; 
you are from all eternity.

The seas have lifted up, Lord, 
the seas have lifted up their voice; 
the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, 
mightier than the breakers of the sea - 
the Lord on high is mighty.

Your statutes, Lord, stand firm; 
holiness adorns your house for endless days.

When it seems that the earth is anything but "firm and secure," how good it is to be reminded that the Lord reigns over all of it. That His plan is to prosper, not to harm. That He is so much more powerful than the most violent, powerful seas our generation has seen.

I hope we'll all remember to pray to this same God, the One who rules the seas, that His mercy and peace will rest on Japan today; and that because of this tragedy, many will hear the Gospel and know Him for the first time.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you guys read Scripture together. That's awesome. Praying with you for Japan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Thank you for the wonderful words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the psalms always speak to the tempests in me-anciently timelessly fresh! thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this reminder!
    i can't watch the news anymore - its so heart-wrenching. def. praying alongside you for this country and its ppl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Whitney - I am a missionary here in Japan, and God reminded me of this significant Psalm just this morning. Bless you for sharing your thoughts with your readers.

    Warmly in Christ,
    Tim (Johnson)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan