Kingdoms.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

These pictures have nothing to do with the post. I just couldn't help but show you my happy little chub that makes my heart sing.
Shawn and I have been talking a lot recently about kingdoms. As he put it the other night, "We're either building God's Kingdom, or we're building our own." That hit me because it's so true. I'm either investing my time and energy into loving and serving others (and in turn, loving and serving the Lord) and building His Kingdom here on earth. Or I'm building my own kingdom: striving to find the nicest house and cars and jobs, trying to maintain the easiest, most comfortable life, and building myself up. I'm either humbling myself to put others first or toppling over them to get ahead. I'm either making Him great or making myself great. It's a constant struggle. 

Jesus was clear: "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me." (Matthew 16:24)

That makes me squirm. I love comfort. I love certainty. I love safety. But that's not what He called us to. He calls us to faith, to action, to radical love and sacrifice. 

So as we pack up our home and look out at this blank slate before us with so many decision to make, we pray for the grace to make building His Kingdom our aim.

8 comments:

  1. This was exactly what I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this, whitney!

    the worship leader at my church wrote this song and i love the line-- "to finally let go of my plans, these earthly kingdoms built of sand, Jesus at your cross I stand with open hands".

    so good.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxI38hLIZA

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite picture is in the very middle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the purpose of our earthly journey is to become better and make the world better. But you can't deny that we can't live without food and a shelter above our heads. Also every parent would want the best for their child - there is no harm in it.
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those photos. He is such a handsome little one. Thank you for this reminder. We are still in somewhat of a season of waiting, too, and I need the constant reminder that this life is God's and He has a plan for it and will provide everything we need in its time. I know He has amazing plans for the Newbys, and He's strengthening your hearts and faith during this time as you're seeking Him and trusting Him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved these thoughts on kingdoms - you underlined a lot of what God has been speaking to me lately - I'm either serving Him and others, or serving myself. Thank you for the encouraging and challenging word!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your thoughts. My dad just spoke at a conference on "The Upside-down Kingdom". His talks are really great! If you have a free moment, you can find them here: http://jvtalks.josiahventure.com/talks-and-resources/2013/2013-spring-conference/main-sessions . :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wonderful pictures! you have a lovely baby and the words sank deep into the heart. Yesterday I read the book, and there it is written, Be safe, it is good. But Lord, you had other plans, HE encourages the Act, do not sit on a place, develop, for the development of this life.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan