My favorite thing that I've (recently) made.

Thursday, May 30, 2013

One of my favorite things I've recently made (not counting Liam, of course) is this wallet.
I sewed it using the Oliver + S Have It All Wallet Sewing Pattern and I can't say enough about how perfect this design is. It's plenty big to hold all the cards, coins, and receipts I gather during errands, but not too bulky. The exterior fabric is a black papyrus slub linen from Joann's. The interior fabric is Anna Maria Horner's Coordinates in Saffron. I had both fabrics in my stash, left over from other projects.

It's one of the few things I've sewn for myself that I actually use every day. I'm sure you understand, but I'm always a little critical of my own work - so it's hard to carry something that I made when I see some tiny little flaw. But for this, I made a cup of tea, took my time, chose fabrics I love, and have gotten so much use out of it already.

I'd say the pattern is good for a confident beginner or intermediate seamstress who will take the time to read it through. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who is just able to thread a machine and sew a straight line. It requires putting a zipper in, but is very detailed and well explained. Also, in making a fabric wallet, I would definitely suggest a darker color on the outside as it's bound to gather dirt over time. You could also Scotchgard it, but I think a darker color is a better option.

Ok, your turn! I'd love to see something you've made that you use and love. This is the first time I've used a link up widget, so bear with me. If you'll link up to a specific blog post that you've written to show something you've made, I'd love to see! And it definitely doesn't have to be sewing-related.


 Loading InLinkz ...


PS - I so wish I could make these for my shop, but alas, the Oliver + S license agreements make it pretty expensive to sell any items made from their patterns. I hope to have wallets in the shop someday!

11 comments:

  1. CUTE fabric picks! Did the pattern use specific interfacings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I remember, it did call for interfacings, but I just scrounged around and used what I had and it worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I would buy this one if it was for sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your stuff! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your wallet! Your selection of colors and matching them is brilliant! I' like to learn sewing, but I don't have a sewing machine yet.
    I've linked my crochet drawstring bag which I use for storing little things like hair clips, bracelets and so on :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this!!! So cute and looks fairly easy to put together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been wanting to try out this wallet pattern! It's nice to hear that it's not outrageously hard. ;) I love the colors you went with! And I saw those floral stamps peeking out of the wallet pocket - don't you adore those? I bought a pack and don't even want to use them. I just want to keep them forever and ever! I linked up an iPad case I made for myself. It DEFINITELY isn't perfect, but it makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Can't wait to see more in your shop after your move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will you be doing this link-up every week and if you are, is there a button to go with it?

    www.thepreppylittlepolkadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought of it but I love that idea! If I do, I'll be sure to add a button and let everyone know.

      Delete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan