DIY: Chevron frame

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I made this super easy chevron frame over the weekend, and didn't exactly plan to share it as a DIY project on the blog (hence no step-by-step photos). But I hope with a few instructions and photos of the finished project, you'll easily be able to make one if you'd like to!

What you need: 
16x16" piece of plywood
5x7" frame
Paint
Hammer & nails
Hanging kit
Electric sander or sandpaper



How you make one: 
First, paint your piece of wood a solid color (white, in this case). Then, using painter's tape or a stencil, paint a design onto the wood. I used a pencil and ruler to make my chevron design. Once the design is painted on, give it some time to dry completely then go crazy with your sander! This is my favorite part. :) Rough up the edges of the wood as well as some of the front, too. This gives it the distressed/weathered look.

Once your piece of plywood is painted, it's time to add the smaller frame. Because I didn't want to glue the frame on (in case I wanted to change the photo out later), I simply measured and hung the 5x7" frame right onto the center of the wood with a nail. That way, it's easy to change the photo out later. Finish it up by adding a hanging kit to the back of the plywood to hang your new chunky frame on the wall.

And that's it! Once you have all the materials, this project can be done in less than 2 hours.

I hope you'll try it!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm sure it would work with any type, but just for curiosity's sake, what kind of paint did you use for this project (and other projects like this)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! This time around, I used those little acrylic craft paints you find for a dollar or less at a craft store (Hobby Lobby, Joann's, Michael's, Walmart even). The gray is just white with a tiny bit of black and blue that I mixed up.

      Delete
  2. I hope your baby comes today! 10-23 is a good day for a birthday :) But I may be biased!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So adorable! I love DIY, and this makes it look easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. EVERY day is GOOD for 'lil "L"'s birthday! :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love that the art is interchangeable.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan