Fall reading.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Source
Fall puts me in the mood for reading. Maybe it's the crisp air that makes me want to cuddle up with a cup of tea and a good story. In part, I think it's because I'm not in school this semester and missing it just a tiny bit.

So I thought I would share three of my very favorite books of all time. These three are some of the only books I've ever read more than once... I tend to be curious to see what else is out there! I don't typically pick up spiritual how-to books or self help books, but I can't resist a well written novel.

So without further ado, I share these in hopes you might tell me some of your favorites too?

1. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken. This is the one book I recommend across the board as my very favorite. It's a true story of a couple who meets C.S. Lewis at Oxford and develops a friendship with him. The book contains a series of letters between Sheldon, Davy, and C.S. Lewis that ultimately leads Sheldon and Davy to faith in Christ. It is an exquisitely written, tragic story that will undoubtedly bring you to tears, but will also (hopefully) encourage your faith as it did mine. I can't recommend it highly enough. I even feel a sort of special connection with people who know and love this book like I do. Are any of you out there? :)

2. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. This story is set in the French Revolution and reminds me, in some ways, of Les Misérables. (If you like that story, you'll like this one.) The intricacies of how the characters are woven together in the plotline is masterful, and it ends with such a clear picture of the Gospel. I'm so glad this classic was assigned reading in high school... I've read it a couple times since, and love it more every time.

3. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. Don't let the title scare you off like it almost did me. It sounds like a super cheesy romance novel, but it's far from it. Krauss's writing is stunning, and I think she could make just about any story come to life. This one, though, weaves together two very unlikely characters that you fall in love with from the get-go. I'm not sure how to summarize the story without giving things away, so just trust me... and read it.

15 comments:

  1. A Severe Mercy is easily a favorite of mine. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound great! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not ready any of these & that is a shame. Putting them on my list! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh. I think I'm going to order 1 & 3! I don't think I can move past awful reading experiences with Dickens from high school. The other two sound wonderful though! Very different, but wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Severe Mercy is such a beautiful story. I've reread it many times since my BA days. I recommend: Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal. It's similar to Kisses from Katie; if you like that, you'll like Little Princes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! I'm going to check out it. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh someone else who has read The History Of Love! That is my absolute all-time favourite novel! The characters just come alive through her writing, they're just so human. And the storyline is so interesting as it develops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Whitney, yes. A Severe Mercy. Post Moody, doubting my faith, disliking the Church, and wondering who God was, and watching other friends walk away completely, I read A Severe Mercy. It wasn't the romance that hit me, it was the conversion. I wept on my CTA bus on the way to work, amazed that God took someone from unbelief to belief, and someone intellectual at that! It was just the right time to witness the beautiful story of lives wooed by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is beautiful... I love that it encouraged you at just the right time. I'm inspired to read it again now!

      Delete
  8. I LOVE "A Tale of Two Cities"! Dickens is brilliant. I just finished "The Casual Vacancy" by J.K. Rowling for the book club I'm part of. It's a little depressing, and even the hopeful ending is empty without God. "A Severe Mercy" has been on my list for a while, and perhaps I'll add "The History of Love" as well. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Severe Mercy is definitely one of my favorites!!!! Did you read it at BA? We read it in AP Lang. So so so wonderful. Good choice :)

    Also- I CAN'T WAIT to see Baby L!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I read it for extra credit in Mrs. Milam's class. I think there were only 4 or 5 of us who did, and we bonded because we loved it so much. :)

      Also - YOU AND ME BOTH!!! :)

      Delete
  10. Ooo, I definitely will put Severe Mercy on my list, sounds like something I would enjoy. I already agree that History of Love is great! I bought it randomly at a garage sale, and read it last summer.

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan