My newest hobby.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One way I love to relax is by crafting (which you could probably guess), and especially by learning a new craft. I've crocheted before, but it's been years - and I've only ever made a scarf or two using one basic stitch.

So over Christmas break, while the shop was closed, I decided to pick up a crochet hook and a ball of yarn and get to work. I went to YouTube and found an amazing number of crochet tutorials, which helped me remember basic techniques and find a small project to work on. Seeing it on video, it was almost as if someone was sitting next to me, showing me the stitches.

First, I made a baby hat using this tutorial: Baby Crochet Cap

Then, I added a flower to it using this tutorial: Crochet Rose

All of this from one skein of yarn, one crochet hook (I used a 5.5mm hook), and a beginner crocheter. If you're on the fence about learning, I hope this inspires you to go for it!

7 comments:

  1. holy cow that's some good looking crochet! I should show you a picture of what it looked like when i attempted that...yikes...sounds like a lovely winter hobby to hone! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am cracking up about the two babes i see in that first photo. i mean, am i right? so cute, sleeping babies.
    nice job on the crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Cute flower :) Crochet is definitely my favorite hobby... Portable, inexpensive, productive, and I can still pay attention to my almost-3-year-old while I do it. Needless to say, my girl has about 39587394856394875 crocheted items in her closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I've never learned to crochet, but my mom does and she made me a coffee cozy this weekend. I might have to check into the videos, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the babies are so cute..especially when sleeping :)
    you made a lovely cap and a rose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love to crochet! i'll have to add that rose to my project list. :)

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan